QSee - NVR Replacement Software (Blue Iris?)

Xigma

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie here and not extremely tech savvy.
Since my QSee Halifax 16 Ch NVR can't be viewed remotely ( the Presidio software wasn't that good anyway) since they went out of business, I'm just looking for an easy solution to get back online.
Can I simply replace the system software on the NVR with Blue Iris? If so, can you point me somewhere that may give me a step by step direction?
Since there is no keyboard, user interface etc, I have no idea what is in the guts of the NVR.
If there is some other easy way, please share. lol
Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NO - Blue Iris is software that must run on a PC, it does not run on an NVR. The only software (firmware) you can run on an NVR is from the manufacturer.

But there are other options for you to still use your QSee...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Set up a VPN, remote in and use a RDP product to view your NVR. Asus routers, and many others, have a built-in VPN that simply needs to be activated, the client needs to be installed on the phone or tablet, then you're good to go.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie here and not extremely tech savvy.
Since my QSee Halifax 16 Ch NVR can't be viewed remotely ( the Presidio software wasn't that good anyway) since they went out of business, I'm just looking for an easy solution to get back online.
Can I simply replace the system software on the NVR with Blue Iris? If so, can you point me somewhere that may give me a step by step direction?
Since there is no keyboard, user interface etc, I have no idea what is in the guts of the NVR.
If there is some other easy way, please share. lol
Thanks,
Ken
Welcome @Xigma ( Ken )

Does the NVR still work? Can you view videos while on the LAN?

If so, go with the VPN route that @sebastiantombs mentions.

Xigma

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow!! Thanks everyone. I didn't expect any reply, no less a possible solution so quickly.
Like I said I'm not uncapable but I'm more of a gearhead so I'll have to look into your suggestions a bit more.
Knowing that I can't do anything to replace the firmware totally helps. The system still works fine, I just can't view remotely which is kind of the whole point! lol
I may need some guidance after I do my homework on this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the NVR still works, but I've also replace my computer and I don't even know what software to use to view them on the LAN.
Simply use a web browser (most of these work best with Internet Explorer (Yeah we know it is old LOL but that is what these systems were developed around)) and then type in the IP address of the NVR.

Xigma

n3wb
Reaction score
Simply use a web browser (most of these work best with Internet Explorer (Yeah we know it is old LOL but that is what these systems were developed around)) and then type in the IP address of the NVR.
Hmmm....I tried connecting via browser and I get the error below.
I entered IPv4 address refused to connect (the nerve!! lol)
Also tried the DMMS App on my phone and it isn't connecting....not on the same network error blah blah.....
I've spent about as much time as I can today on this but any suggestions are always welcome. (sent what my DVR addresses are in the pic as well)
Thanks!!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You probably need to add the port number also at the end of the address as : port number. I common one is :80 or :81, but you should be able to find the port number in the NVR settings.

Xigma

n3wb
Reaction score
You probably need to add the port number also at the end of the address as : port number. I common one is :80 or :81, but you should be able to find the port number in the NVR settings.
OK yes you are a genius!! That worked - I can access the NVR, status, all the gadgets etc.
However I'm not a genius :(.....None of my browsers will play the video feeds. It keeps saying "Please install the latest plug-in". Doesn't say which ones but I came upon two which I tried. One of which was Webplayer and the other was Native Client SDK. I shut the browser down, did the update and then rebooted the computer....still nothing.
Any more thoughts? Some other viewer software or something.
Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try using Internet Explorer as that is the web browser these things were developed around. Not Edge, not chrome with IE plugin, but plain ole Explorer that is baked into Windows 10.

Now you will have to make sure Windows doesn't sneak it past you and pop up Edge.

But with Explorer, it will then prompt you to download and install the plug in that is available on the NVR. The plug in will only work in Explorer.

Xigma

n3wb
Reaction score
Totally worked!! I couldn't repeat what I did if my life depended on it but it now works.
Now I'm trying to get any mobile app to work. I'm trying gDMSS Plus however I haven't been able to add the NVR to it, something simple I'm sure.
I put in the SN from the bottom of the NVR manually as there was no 2D barcode to scan.
The NVR is hardwired into the network. My cell phone obviously isn't. Below are the screenshots that I took from the phone.

Attachments

Xigma

n3wb
Reaction score
Try using Internet Explorer as that is the web browser these things were developed around. Not Edge, not chrome with IE plugin, but plain ole Explorer that is baked into Windows 10.

Now you will have to make sure Windows doesn't sneak it past you and pop up Edge.

But with Explorer, it will then prompt you to download and install the plug in that is available on the NVR. The plug in will only work in Explorer.
BTW now that I have it working through IE I recall how bad the original software was that I had on my laptop - this is even worse! ugh......

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, that is why most of us migrate to Blue Iris!

They have a demo, so put it on the laptop to try it. You can pull the cameras right in from the NVR. Simply add camera with the IP, user and PW of the NVR and then halfway down on the add screen is a spot to pick the camera number.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - it is possible to setup a hybrid NVR + Blue Iris setup, this gives you redundancy for video storage ..

Xigma

n3wb
Reaction score
Totally worked!! I couldn't repeat what I did if my life depended on it but it now works.
Now I'm trying to get any mobile app to work. I'm trying gDMSS Plus however I haven't been able to add the NVR to it, something simple I'm sure.
I put in the SN from the bottom of the NVR manually as there was no 2D barcode to scan.
The NVR is hardwired into the network. My cell phone obviously isn't. Below are the screenshots that I took from the phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a mobile app to work?