QQ - Blue Iris as a Camera or?

Reaction score
Ok, embarrassed to even ask this because the thread is probably here but I'm not finding it.

After an incident where the neighbors car got set on fire and I didn't get enough on video because it was:
  • 4AM and very dark
  • I was using motion activated recording and the event was outside the motion detection box, so continuous recording would have gotten more info
  • I was trying to reduce bandwidth spent sending lots of nighttime frames with cars driving by the house
  • pretty close to the edge of the frame on a 3.6mm wide angle camera
basically I got lucky that I got ANYTHING, because the first motion detection event was a car passing in front of the house (with record 10s after event set I see a shadowy figure approaching the car in the last 2 seconds of the clip), and then 50 seconds later the car is on fire and triggers the motion detection again. The good news is it was enough that the Police are investigating (because originally they jumped to the faulty wiring explanation), but not enough to be terribly useful.

If there is some guidance on the best way to set this up can someone shoot it my way? Just wondering if Blue Iris(CO) can record Blue Iris(IL) because was looking at using substreams to set a different FPS rate, but substream resolutions are quite a bit lower.

I'm thinking recording full resolution locally at 10-15 FPS, recording remotely at full resolution but 2-3 FPS. Then downloading the better quality video if ever needed.

Separately, does anyone have either good (or bad) luck with using Wake on LAN to turn a remote PC on and off? With as often as the power goes out at that remote location, this will work not well at all if I can't get the stupid thing back on in-between visits. I know the BIOS usually have an auto-on, but as added safety net because its like 15 hours drive away.

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Separately, does anyone have either good (or bad) luck with using Wake on LAN to turn a remote PC on and off? With as often as the power goes out at that remote location, this will work not well at all if I can't get the stupid thing back on in-between visits. I know the BIOS usually have an auto-on, but as added safety net because its like 15 hours drive away.
Plug the PC into a high capacity UPS (1500VA). That'll keep it alive through a power outage lasting a long time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plug the PC into a high capacity UPS (1500VA). That'll keep it alive through a power outage lasting a long time.
+1^^^.
I was going to suggest that, went to lunch and completely forgot that point when I returned and posted #2 above....thanks for pointing it out. I've got 3 UPS's in the house: 1 on Blue Iris PC, 1 on another PC and 1 on a 65" Sony 4K 3D TV and DirecTV DVR.

Reaction score
Yep, that's the one I remember seeing but couldn't find, fail @my Google-Fu. How to accomplish the differing FPS, just duplicate the camera on the remote PC and lower its FPS or something?

I have to do the math, but the last power outage (this week) was 4.5 hours. Need to check if that would have cut it, since it would need to be PC, router, and POE Switch at the minimum.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I record all cameras all the time, because you do not know where the action will come from. Motion detection for recording is pure junk with the price of disk drives. Why use sub streams when you have purchased a quality camera, record it.

All equipment is on UPS, my system uses five UPS, one for the BI PC, one each for the two POE switches, one for the router, one for the NAS.

I have not had a power outage more than 10 minutes, except for hurricanes, for me with this setup it kept everything going on the short power failures. A whole home generator is on the list.

Remember one of Murphy laws, if it can F... up it will.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How to accomplish the differing FPS, just duplicate the camera on the remote PC and lower its FPS or something?
I don't see why not...short name "Cam1" at remote is at 15 fps, the clone of Cam1 at remote (short name "Cam2") is set to 5 fps; the raw stream pulled from the remote would be from "Cam 2"