Proper Wiring Ubiquiti NanoStation NSM5 - Help Please

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This afternoon if all works out and I make it home, I will have the pleasure of hooking up my PTZ with your help. My question revolves around setting up the Nanostation as described in the title of this post. The below is a drawing of what I think would be correct for the "Client" located at the PTZ location that is 600 feet away with a clear line of sight. Also below I have 4 options for the "Server" location at the residence. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this.

The Client at the Camera Site
1616587889350.png

The Server located at the Residence - Option 1
1616588741837.png

The Server located at the Residence - Option 2
1616588118474.png

The Server located at the Residence - Option 3
1616588681828.png

The Server located at the Residence - Option 4
1616588427818.png

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you Jessie. I'm still wondering how to manage the wiring once inside at the residence where the NVR is located, do I use Option 1 or Option 2?

PS: I took the other 2 options off the original post since receiving your post Jessie since they are not applicable.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on whether or not you need the routing capability of a router between the nvr and the nano. I can't really think of a reason you would need to, unless you also needed access to the nano from a seperate network than the nvr is on.

I'd go option 2.

The ubiquity poe injector will have 2 ports on it. One will go to the nano. The other will go to the nvr. A little different than your diagram but same theory.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Option 2
I stumbled onto the nanostation bundled as a preconfigured Point to point bridge on Amazon. I got enough to do on any given day. I went that route. They included directions on how it was configured and how to connect.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Option 2
I stumbled onto the nanostation bundled as a preconfigured Point to point bridge on Amazon. I got enough to do on any given day. I went that route. They included directions on how it was configured and how to connect.
Yes, this is available and some folks prefer the plug 'n play scenario.
But if someone wants to save a few bucks and learn something to boot it's not that difficult to configure. Matter of fact, Ubiquiti tells how here and below is a graphical representation.

Doing it yourself also guarantees the IP's will be in the same subnet as the other components in the LAN so it's easier to align, monitor and troubleshoot the radios.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My system just needed the IP of the device (Amcrest Pentabrid DVR) which I set Static to 192.168.1.5 for the Blue Iris network. The nano stations are running on different Network address scheme. Cant remember at the moment what that is.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The old NSM5's, for act as transparent bridge, must be configured as AP-WDS, and STA-WDS, then play with the RF settings. When configured as bridge, thir ip address is used only for management, I meant, if you create a /29 between 'em, then you connect both radios in an existing network with a different address space, you won't be able to manage 'em (unless you set, on a laptop, a static ip address that belongs to the same /29 network), but they will pass all L2 frames anyway.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Redfive & Flintstone61: Thank you for your replies, I have the Nano's paired and installed. I'm using WPA2-AES for security, I have the SSID and password working and I made their IP static and changed it to one that would not cause a conflict. The problem I have is my NVR (NVR5216-16P-I) does not recognize the nano that's plugged directly into the NVR. Below are my settings, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1616681967618.png

1616682012208.png

1616682070029.png

1616682106927.png

1616682154388.png

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TonyR, for some reason I didn't see your post earlier, the answer is no, I do not know what I'm doing in setting up this bridge, any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your response.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TonyR, for some reason I didn't see your post earlier, the answer is no, I do not know what I'm doing in setting up this bridge, any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your response.
Set up the one near the server as Access Point / Bridge and the remote one at the NVR as Station / Bridge, both with AirMax and WDS enabled.

On the Remote (Station / Bridge ), log in and perform a survey looking for the SSID of the AP/Bridge and connect. You can and should test the PtP link of the radios on the bench, located a few feet away from each other before moving. To test, run an Ethernet patch cable from the AP/ Bridge POE injector's LAN port to a router LAN port for Internet. Plug your PC's Ethernet into the LAN port on the POE injector of the Station/Bridge (remote) and try to access Internet with a browser on that PC; if configured properly, the PtP link is just like an Ethernet cable running from your PC to the router.

I believe if you perform a hard reset, most default values will work, just log in and follow the ENTIRE procedure linked above and here.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TonyR: I went down to the Station/Bridge, connected my laptop and tried to access the internet, no joy. I then logged into the Nano and found the WDS not enabled. I enabled WDS and then tried the internet again and it connected no problem. I hooked the PTZ back up to the PFA1200 and the PFA1200 to the LAN port on the Ubiquiti PoE injector. I have the Access Point/Bridge connected as shown below. The NVR still does not see/recognize the Nano plugged into Port 10 of the NVR. Thank you for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it.

1616694677498.png

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Captain_B: can you confirm you are plugging that red arrow into a POE port of the NVR? This means that the NVR needs to distribute a DHCP address to the camera (at the other side of the Nanostation). Which means: if your camera is already booted up (and was unable to get an IP address), then the NVR will never see it (except if you tell it to search for 169.X.X.X no-dhcp ip address).

So my advice would be to powercycle the camera and then check the NVR again to see if has detected the camera. If you already put a "static" IP address in that camera, you can change the internal IP range of the NVR to that subnet and forcily put that fixed IP address in it. Or, alternatively, you press the factory reset button 15-30' and off it goes and the NVR auto-configures it.

Keep us posted!
CC

Last edited:

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Catcamstar: Yes sir, Port 10 on the NVR is plugged into the LAN port of the Ubiquiti PoE injector. I have put no static IP address in the camera and I will go down there now and power cycle the camera and reply back.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The AirMax feature, if only AirMax devices are associated (and here, is a pure p2p), can also be leaved enabled. What does mean that NVR doesn't recognize the NSM5 ? The port is down ?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
These nanostations should be "transparant" for the other networking devices (this in comparison to a router, which has a visible IP in the range of other devices and thus act as a visible networking device): traffic should be bridged across wherever source and destination lies. If the NVR does not see the camera at the other side, but the transport layer is up, then I'm suspecting an IP layer issue, not a link layer issue.

@Captain_B : did you already use that camera "locally" on the NVR or not? Because if not, it might still carry the "out of the box" 192.168.1.108 IP address.

If so, I'd plug that cable going to the NVR in your pc, and use configtool to find the camera: if it does not find it, there's something else missing.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I power cycled the PTZ and came back to the residence and the NVR sees it now and everything is working perfectly! THANK YOU Catcamstar, TonyR, Redfive, Flinstone61, Wildcat_1, Jessie_Slimer, you made my month and a long month it has been on this end. Great job, I really appreciate it, and once again a big THANK YOU to each of you for your help and willingness to take the time to post.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I power cycled the PTZ and came back to the residence and the NVR sees it now and everything is working perfectly!
Good to hear!
Now one question and be honest now....did you pick up some valuable knowledge along the way or do you wish you had bought the UBNT's pre-configured and/or hired out the whole job?