Profile management -> Day/Night

tech191

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have what may be a question with an obvious answer. But the subnet that my 5442s are on doesn't have access to the internet. I use a synology server along with SSS. I have separate day and night profiles and the profiles run on a schedule. So at the moment 6:30am to 8:30pm day and 8:30pm to 6:30am night. But as the seasons change, I need to adjust the schedule...for 10 cameras. Is there a better way to handle this other than using the script discussed here Dahua day/night settings - the basics ? Can the cameras switch automatically? I am unclear on what the General or Day/Night settings are. On that old thread they talk about Normal and not General. Have there been any changes made since 2019? Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately in 2022, they still have not fixed that in some cams, so the camera does not work as we think it would regarding day and night settings.

If you do not use the utility or schedule in the camera or some other method. some of the cams will only switch from color to B/W based on available light, but it will use the normal or general settings (same thing just called one or the other based on camera) and not the day and night profile settings.

The only way to use the day and night settings if the camera doesn't have the option is the utility or schedule or your own batch file or some other routine to switch it based on API.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Both my 5231 and 5442 cams correctly switch to using the night profile in terms of cam settings for brightness, contrast, shutter speed etc or are we talking about something else?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK I checked on my cams since it has been so long LOL.

Some of the older cams do not have an option and need the utility or schedule, or you are running LPR and need it to set a focus.

If the camera has day/night schedule option, it will work based on light.

If it does not have that, then it will need the schedule or utility.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the camera has day/night schedule option, it will work based on light.
Really? This works now? I went through the trouble of setting up all of my 5442 cameras using the "new/old" method of having individual camera schedules setup in BI and using the API calls to change camera settings from day/night based on an offset from sunrise/sunset. I didn't need to do this after all?? Oh well...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well I don't trust it either and still use the utility lol.

One of my cams seemed to work ok with the day/night for a few days and would then wonk out and stay either day or night.