Problems adding Hikvision camera to Swann NVR

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
A neighbor of mine has a Swann NVR (purchased from Costco, I think) with 8 3MP cams similar to Hik 2032's. NVR sw version is 3.0.8 build 141009.
It has 16 ports for cameras on the back, with the top row labelled 'PoE' and the bottom 'LAN', so I figured it could support another camera or two.

Trying to add a Hikvison 2532 (3mp mini dome), I preconfigured it with an IP matching the NVR's internal side, 172.16.1.10.
Connected the cam to Port 9 on the NVR using a PoE injector to power it, plugged my laptop into port 16 and give it static address 172.16.1.60.

From my laptop, I can browse the NVR web UI at 172.16.1.1, the camera's UI at 172.16.1.10.
I can also manage the cam with ONVIF device manager, so i assume it has ONVIF enabled (fw vers 5.4.0)

Tried to add the cam to the NVR various ways. It seems to have an ONVIF mode, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas? Can one add Hik cams to Swann NVR's at all? Or perhaps load Hik firmware on the NVR to gain compatibility?

TIA, Paul.

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
a few more data points:
  • tried port 80 and port 8000 in the NVR UI when attempting to add.
  • cam has rtsp auth set to 'disabled'. should it be 'set to 'basic'?
  • cam currently has image rotated (corridor mode). could the NVR be :puke:ing on that?
  • cam is set to 10fps & iframe interval 10. other cams on this NVR are at 15 fps. should that matter?
  • i find no ONVIF port or user config in the cam's UI. seems only newer versions (5.5.0+) have this, tho ONVIF is apparently enabled by default and i can browse it with ODM

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Your settings look like they should work. You've tested the normal settings.
I'd guess that there is a compatibility issue with Swann's ONVIF implementation.
It's very old firmware on the NVR.

I've seen Swann firmware that had embryonic ONVIF code built in where the devices are not advertised as being ONVIF compatible.
I think it took them a while to get there, and from what I've seen, Swann code isn't the best.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Got it working!

FWIW, I had previously tried this last year (forgot i had asked here: Hik 2522 cam on Costco/Swann NVR? )

anyways, I simply put the latest Swann firmware for the 7090-series NVR on a USB fob and did an 'upgrade' from the console.

from here: Swann Support

I was worried it would lose all configuration, but nothing broke that i can tell (except timezone, for some reason).

As soon as it rebooted on the new FW the new Hik cam just appeared. Sweet.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
possibly. strangly enuf, the new (hik 2532) cam is working with 'SWANN' protocol selected in the nvr config for it, so I'm not sure it's using ONVIF. As it's working and I have limited access, I'm just gonna leave it as-is...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
and yet, there it is... :) (apologies for the blurry console photo)
perhaps "SWANN" protocol == "HIKVISION" protocol, at least for this hardware...
Now that i know this works, i may try ONVIF again when i have chance...

Attachments