EmpireTech IP Camera IPC-HFW4239T-ASE 2MP Focal Length 6mm

Hooked to POE switch
connected Router software shows no new connections
Configtool.exe runs, finds no camera
2 others cameras working in this cfg

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try a different port on the POE switch, for example one that is currently connected to a working cam. I believe most Dahua cams will have a default of 192.168.1.108. In the config tool, try changing the settings to 192.168.1.1, (IP-Number) 255, then do a Refresh again to see if it pops up.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try a different port, try a different cable, close and relaunch the configtool. I have had a few Dahuas not immediately discovered on the first try that were fixed by closing relaunching config tool and plugging in and unplugging cams.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you are not overloading the POE switch as well. Even though it may be X ports, if it only provides Y total watts and it is exceeded by connecting to all X ports, then it won't work.

Unplug all other cameras and see if it fires up.

So with that said, what most of us do is instead of using the config tool you are trying to use, we take a computer and disconnect it from the router and manually set the internet IP address of the computer to the same range as the camera, so in this case, change the IP address to a static address of say 192.168.1.100 - next plug the camera and computer into the same POE switch. Then go to Internet Explorer (many of these cameras prefer that browser) and type in 192.168.1.108 and then set up the camera and change the IP address to an IP address of your network.

Then change the computer back to DHCP or the previously set static address and plug it back into the system.

And you shouldn't have the cameras connected to the router, but that is another story about securing cameras...

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It's almost guaranteed that the OP has a network that isn't in the range of the default IP addresses that come on the cameras (192.168.1.108 for Dahua for example). The OP probably needs to connect the camera directly to a computer and change the computers IP address to something in that default range (192.168.1.100 for example). Then in the computer's web browser, browse to 192.168.1.108 and the admin page will likely load. Then you can change the IP address from static to DHCP and connect the camera to the network via the switch (instead of directly connected to the computer). I suspect the camera will appear on the network at this point.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked. But you do need to be aware that Dahua markets these cameras to professional installers and not home owners. The same is true of Hikvision. That marketing assumes a certain level of networking knowledge as well as configuring the specifics of the cameras.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad it is working.

I have one of those cameras, with LED street lights the night time full color performance is really good.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As @sebastiantombs mentioned, most of us here know that the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras and NVRs instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. And we are just fine with that! That is what Google search and this forum is for!

We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests and Reolinks of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. Dahua and Hik cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from if you have questions or need support...

Contrast that with consumer grade units. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story) and for most novice callers they provide good customer service, but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...

Personally I will take better quality cameras and no support and forums like this than crap cameras with customer support that I end up knowing more than the call center person I am calling...

Like I mentioned in Post #4, many of us do not use those config tools as we like to ensure we set these up to be completely off the internet, so we set a computer to the IP range of the default camera and set it up that way so that the camera has no ability to quickly jump on the internet when connecting to a system on the net.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like I mentioned in Post #4, many of us do not use those config tools as we like to ensure we set these up to be completely off the internet, so we set a computer to the IP range of the default camera and set it up that way so that the camera has not ability to quickly jump on the internet when connecting to a system on the net.
+1^^^^ :headbang:

Mlda

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We do not exist in their world (...)
I'm not sure about that.

I sometimes wonder why there are so much more new firmware released by Andy than Dahua official releases?

Aren't the expert guys in this forum kind of serving as guinea pigs for Dahua, testing and improving their firmware before Dahua officially releases it?

But that's fine. If guys here are happy to do that, if that helps Andy, if that helps Dahua, I'm very fortunate because, ultimately, that helps guys like myself.

We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that.
Indeed we are.
Thanks IPCAMTALK forum guys, thanks Andy, thanks Dahua...
well, maybe Dahua not so much, except for the price tag we get from Andy.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Mlda - as a consumer, call Dahua and Hikvision and see if they help you...most end up finding this site because they purchased a Dahua or Hik camera online somewhere and when they called for support, they basically told them to pound salt, if they even take the call.

Sometimes they offer some very basic support, but will pull the "talk to the rep you bought it from"...which is code for we do not exist in their business model.

Spend any time here and you will find that Andy's customers have better firmware than Dahua ever puts out to their customers or on their website. Dahua takes care of Andy and his customers much more than I believe other vendors get with Dahua...

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
re these fixed addresses, if your LAN address range is NOT 192.168.1.0-255, you can always add a second subnet to Windows with a static IP in the 192.168.1.0 block mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway, don't change your DNS, then you can directly address devices on your LAN that are on 192.168.1.xxx such as a virgin Dahua cam. Note this will only work if your PC's main address is static, not DHCP.

in the latest win10, do this by...
  1. go to Network Settings, on Network Status, under Advanced Network Settings, click Change Adapter Options (this is all new style stuff but will get you to the old reliable network config)
  2. on the resulting Network Connections window, right click your Ethernet, choose Properties.
  3. in the list of network components ('items'), find and select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", click the Properties button
  4. on IPv4 Properties, click Advanced
  5. on the Advanced dialog, under IP Addresses, click "Add...' and fill in a suitable 192.168.1.xxx static address, mask 255.255.255.0.
  6. OK your way back out to the top, and you should now be able to directly access 192.168.1.108

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Mlda - as a consumer, call Dahua and Hikvision and see if they help you...most end up finding this site because they purchased a Dahua or Hik camera online somewhere and when they called for support, they basically told them to pound salt, if they even take the call.

thats actually pretty standard for OE manufacturers that don't sell direct to consumers, the distributor or reseller is expected to provide support.