Prime-Line Woodguard Steel Security Door. Thumbs up!

Reaction score
Prime-Line 3809BZ3068-I-WF Woodguard Steel Security Door – Traditional Screen Door Style with the Strength of a Steel Security Door – Steel and Wood Construction, Non-Handed, Bronze
via Amazon at near a $400 mark (I believe cheaper at Lowes or HD).
When I started looking into home security which including starting off with Blue Iris and server machinery, DSC 1864 panel and hardwiring contact/PIR/glass break detectors, various Dahua IP cameras... one glaring aspect I never got around to was beefing up the front door. Well, that's not exactly true. I did purchase those enhanced security strike plates with 3" (or maybe 4") heavy duty lag screws but never got around to installing it, yet. My current front door is your standard fiberglass door, which from my understanding is really good. A full blow hard maple 3" thick door would be even better but I don't have the $4k for it :) There are many things you can do to bolster your door such as get rid of the 1" hinge/striker plate screws and go heavy duty security rated 4" lag screws, upgrade your hinges that have the little one-way security notch, install the beefier striker combo plate for deadbolt & handle latches.
You would be amazed how awesome your IP cameras & security system can be but neglect beefing up front door (and rear/patio sliding door) security. Many youtube vids of 5 year old kids having the kicking strength to easily kicking in a door, grabbing stuff, and back out in less than 30 seconds.
Enter into the fray: front security door. I have seen reviews of those $100 ones at HD/Lowe's. If tight on a budget, they are better than nothing. At least they make loud crunching metal noise if getting breached :) Sadly, they are easily breached due to cheap construction (tacked welds, not enough support, etc) and engineering (can push inwards near the bolt knob and some bend in enough to get fingers in there to unlock). What else is out there? I am sure your local security door folks have just what you need for a more robust security door that come in around $800+ and looks....generic, bland. In my search of what is out there, I came across the Prime-Line security door. The pictures speak for themselves. I have never seen security screen doors look like this and I knew I wanted one! Really great robust construction and engineering if it could survive the delivery transport process if purchased online. I'll let the Amazon reviews speak for themselves.

I did not purchase via Amazon nor did I pay full price for nearly $400. I have a local auction that sells off returned Amazon broken, damaged, un-deliverable stuff. I gots this door for $140 new in box.

I also have an odd install that does not work very well that I'll have to edit later on. There is a raised stucco area around my front door. It's hollow! I thought for sure there would be a 2x4 in there....nope! The temporary lag screws I used does bite into something like a 1/8" stucco backboard maybe. Enough to hang the door. But I could easily rip it off if I pulled hard enough. For now, it's installed and looks great (comes with black 4" security lag screws but will not use them just yet), opens/closes, and is treated as a simple screen door right now cause not much in the security department until I do some construction. Pictures below, including the old white vinyl screen door I have been using for years.PXL_20210505_194833246.jpgPXL_20210505_194838463.jpg
PXL_20210505_194815173.jpg
PXL_20210505_194939514.MP.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Good looking door, and functional.

I've been thinking about this for years, how easy it would be to kick my front door in. This will definitely buy you some time or even stop it.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
The last house our family built, I actually went to a company that makes commercial doors, and had them make
me metal fire rated doors in the 3'0" x 6'8" size of a residential door. This has a metal frame with commercial hinges.
The frames were in place when they poured the concrete walls, so they will stay forever.

About 6 months later, someone tried to kick the doors in. The front door had foot prints all over it, and the dead bolt
would not operate freely, but the doors held and they did not get in. The back door looked about the same, and they
broke the window in the door, but it was too small to crawl through and too high to unlock the deadbolt.
We had to replace the front door because it was bowed in. The back door had to replace the window, and they are
still glad they went with the commercial doors.

A little money and proper mounting makes a lot of difference. They will go down the street and break in somewhere
that's easier.