Preferred method for adding camera

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed assigned static IP addresses on two cameras that were still at default.
I deleted the cameras in Blue Iris, and added them (was not necessary since they update in BI, was largely to learn/repeat how to add a camera).
First camera is an Amcrest T2669 (then I found my way to this forum).
Second is a T5442T-ZE.
I keep notes so later I can replicate something that I had previously done.

These steps previously worked fine:
– BI, add camera, enter full name and short name
– enter admin and PW
– Find/Inspect
BI found the T5442T-ZE as General and T5442T
The Amcrest was similarly found as an Amcrest and model T2669.

Now Find/Inspect does not find the T5442T-ZE.
When I give it the IP address, it finds:
Make = Generic/ONVIF
Model = *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4
Nothing from the drop-down menus for Make or Model matches the camera.

Similarly, Find/Inspect does not find the T2669.
However, when I enter the IP address, Find/Inspect instantly correctly identifies the Make and Model but does not populate the make/model fields. I did read in the BI manual that Amcrest works closely with BI.

What would be the next step to solve this problem?
More importantly, what is the preferred method for adding mainstream cameras that are popular here?
I am in early stages of learning about cameras and selecting models, installing cameras, and Blue Iris.
Have made some inroads on several fronts by jumping-in and learning by doing, reading the manual, reading the Wiki, reading posts, asking questions here.
Trying to get ready for adding cameras later in March.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is not a problem...

Find/inspect usually doesn't find every camera. It is best to put in IP address and username and password then find/inspect to pull the appropriate protocol.

Usually it is best to use what find/inspect finds.

Generic is fine. Most cameras are not in BI, especially if they follow the protocol that is found with generic.

All of mine are generic in BI except for the two-way talk.

Last edited:

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Odd that initially BI would find my cameras, now it doesn't and goes with generic.
Thanks for the response, helpful to know I should just go with it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Different versions of BI as more cameras follow protocol can have that happen as well where a previous version has the actual make and model and a later version comes in as generic.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Odd results in night video from T5442T-ZE.
Previously it produced a steady-image video, now the image flickers, but only at night.
Daytime image is great.
Best as I recall it was flickering when I browsed directly to the camera, though will check tonight to be sure.
I don't think I changed any setting in BI, though the only way to be sure would be to delete the camera in BI and add it again.
That wouldn't change anything directly at the camera though.
I have everything at defaults except file locations, initial goal being to get all parts working before I start tinkering with fine-tuning and optimization.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is flickering in the camera GUI, then unless BI is somehow sending a command back to the camera, deleting the camera in BI probably won't help.

But occasionally we do see BI send a command.

I suspect the camera firmware got corrupt and something like backlight is flicking on or off. A factory reset would fix that.

Or maybe someone changed their lightbulbs outside and the shutter speed is conflicting with the refresh rate of the lights.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a preference between:
- Physical button reset on camera, and
- Browser interface of camera - Setting - Default - Factory default
Also, should I mess around with firmware update? Camera is a a Feb 2023 purchase from Andy's Amazon store.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Before you reset... is the camera set to H.264? If not, try updating the setting as such and see if flickering stops.

Edit: change this setting on the camera, not in BI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In theory it should be the same for a factory reset, but personally if I can push and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, that is my first choice.

I wouldn't mess with a firmware update.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Before you reset... is the camera set to H.264? If not, try updating the setting as such and see if flickering stops.

Edit: change this setting on the camera, not in BI
It was in H.265 and I changed it to H.264 ... thanks.
That must have been the default.
I'll check it tonight and see what happens.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In theory it should be the same for a factory reset, but personally if I can push and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, that is my first choice.

I wouldn't mess with a firmware update.
Thanks, physical reset seems to have been the historical preference, and continues to be.
I'll try the reset after seeing the results of changing to H.264 as @SpacemanSpiff suggested.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changed the default H.265 to H.264 yesterday, several hours later when it was dark it did not appear to have helped and the image was still flickering both in BI as well as at the camera.
So I thought that when it was daylight outside I'd get up on the ladder, reset, and see what happens.
Then several hours later (still dark) I happened to look at the camera and the image was stable both in BI and the camera directly.
The flickering is gone now, and am going to leave it alone.

Last edited: