Powering NVR

whoisthis

n3wb
Reaction score
Just in case of power outage, how do you guys make sure NVR and all other cameras run continuously for days? (Whether you are running it offline or online)
I'm currently renting a house and there is no back up generator. When the power does go down, DTE usually gets the power back up running within 2 days max.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use a UPS and whole house generator. If I didn't have that I would have one or two vehicle batteries and an inverter.

whoisthis

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a UPS and whole house generator. If I didn't have that I would have one or two vehicle batteries and an inverter.
Is it safe to be using car batteries and an inverter? Theres no power cut off if it over draws power

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a gel battery array of 12v 150ah. Just hooked it up a regular UPS after taking the original battery out. If I just run the NVR and cameras (POE powered from NVR), I should get at least 48 hours before running out of juice.

Hope to get a generator soon as I live in a tropical hurricane zone which can take out the power for days.

Reaction score
Is it safe to be using car batteries and an inverter? Theres no power cut off if it over draws power
Most decent inverters will shutdown below a critical voltage.

I'm running a smart ups apc series w/ generator backup.

Worth noting that a vehicle, cranked intermittently, could power a low load (like a camera system, router, etc) very easily w/ an inverter and good quality LONG extension cord.