Port lights not lit . . .

Jones Cat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi team,

Great looking site and I wish I had seen this a couple of years ago. Hoping that I can get some advice from the knowledgeable souls on this board.

I own a Swann NVR8-7285 and whilst it was cheap, I have had it for just on 4 years and only had to replace one camera under warranty. Overall it is a great system with minimal issues and good day and night visibility. Trouble is we had a power flick this evening and now 4 of the 8 ports on the back of the NVR are not flashing with their coloured LED lights (lets call them dark for now). Of course this translates to a Video Loss message on each of the camera displays on the monitor that I use for those 4 dark ports.

Here is the perplexing thing, I have not had a chance to reset the cameras (which would be the normal course of events) - but instead if I unplug one of the dark ports and plug that into an operational IP port, after about 20 secs the camera fires up and shows the correct image.

So I know it is not the cable, not the camera, but is the IP port on the NVR. Questions now are why has this happened and how do I fix it?

All offers of help and commentary are welcome.

Kind Regards
Greg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You answered your own question LOL - It means that that power flick killed half the ports. It happens. These little NVRs run hot and that is usually one of the first things to go.

You either buy a POE switch and hook the cameras to it and then the switch to the NVR or you buy a new NVR. It would cost too much to replace the ports in the NVR.

Jones Cat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm, I was suspecting as much, but didn't want it to be true! Thanks for the extra commentary around the NVR as well wittaj!

Just gotta find a reasonably priced PoE switch with an uplink!

cheers