poe injector jerk ?

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone, here is my problem, I had 2 dahua cameras in my system, and I added 2 others today, now 4, before the live stream was super smooth because I put 30 fps because I not like when it jerks, now with 2 more to my system it is much more jerky it looks like 15 fps, my system consists of 4 cam dahua and an nvr, and also a poe injector with 4 port model tl-sf- 1005p, I used a por injector because all my network wires are in the garage and from the injector plug into my router, do you think the problem is poe injector not of quality or internet speed I am at 120 mbps and sorry again for the english translator oblige thanks again to all

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't mention what CPU, specific to the model of the CPU not just an "i5 or i7" or how you are viewing the cameras, an NVR or a PC based VMS. Whichever is may be you are pushing the cameras too hard. While they may be capable of 30fps it can be at a cost like jerky video. The CPU in a camera is rather weak to begin with and 30fps is likely to be working it too hard. Keep in mind a Hollyweird movie is shot at 24fps. The same is true of either an NVR or PC based VMS, you may be pushing it beyond its capabilities resulting in jerky video. Try 20fps and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like you are also running the cameras through the router, so when you put that many on it, it cannot handle and process it. Unlike streaming services like NetFlix, these cameras do not buffer, so it is trying to pass a large load 24/7 and is bottlenecked.

That plus no reason to max these cameras and units out. Your system may have been able to keep up with 2 cameras, but when you doubled it, you magnified the issues.

Shutter speed is much more important than FPS. Most of us use 10-15 FPS.

Bitrate also impacts the picture quality - too low and it is a pixel mess. Too high and you are wasting storage space with no real appreciable return.

For a 4MP cam, I start at 8192 and CBR and then adjust up and down until my eyes do not see a difference. Some will run 20,000 and others can run 4192. YMMV based on field of view.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras and NVRs, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these units at higher fps and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the unit and then it bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of units - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but trying to use the rated "spec" of every option available is usually not going to work well, either with a car or a camera or NVR.

I have a cheapo camera I use for overview purposes, but one of the cool things that camera has though in the gui is it shows the CPU usage. If I max out the FPS, bitrate, use it's motion detection and set it to middle sensitivity, the CPU maxes out 100% quite often. If I run it at 15 FPS with an appropriate bitrate and motion detection at a reasonable level, the CPU sits around 40%. I suspect even the more expensive cameras function close to this.

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok thank you i use an nvr only and i have a 42 inch tv connect in hdmi on the nvr to see live,ok and my camera is connected to a poe and not to the router, I have 4 mp and my biterate is at 2048, I will do other tests thank you again

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the manufacture and model number of the NVR ?
What are the model numbers of the dahua cameras ?

I would for a start get a 8 port POE switch. Like
NETGEAR 8-Port PoE Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch (GS108PEv3)

Connect the cameras and the NVR to that switch, Junk the injectors.

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello again, I did some tests and I noticed that when my 40 inch monitor is divided into 4 to see all my cameras live, at this time the image lag, if I only look at one camera on the 40 inch screen I have no lag, surely the NVR which drives not fast enough for the 4 cams when do you think?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That NVR model has low bandwidth capabilities of 80Mbps so when everything is going to the max, it will struggle.

At 30 FPS and four 5MP cams, you are probably pushing 50Mbps or more just on receiving the video data, now the NVR needs to process motion, save and store video, send a video stream to your device, etc, so you need to back down on FPS as we mentioned or get a higher rated NVR.

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes your good reason, how do you do to calculate the number of Mbps per camera? and thank you again for the information

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
It sounds like you are also running the cameras through the router, so when you put that many on it, it cannot handle and process it.
@wittaj
A POE NVR has many ethernet ports, ie: one per camera.
A Non-POE NVR has only one camera ethernet port. All camera data comes through a router.
So if a router created a bottleneck, that architecture would have serious drawbacks for all those non-poe nvr's...

The OP's observation: jerkiness increases with more cams,
Suspects:
  • NVR speed. Some are spec'd to 200Mb/sec input. (With more cams, is it approaching a derated max?)
  • is the router a legacy unit, with a 100MB limit?
  • test: connect laptop (w/ wifi disabled) to an input port of the router. Run Speedtest while 1) all cams running 2) no cams running. Compare results, maybe spot the bottleneck.

Good luck!
Fastb

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The specs for the NVR are very low.

The decode is :4-channel 1080p@30fps or 1-channel 8MP@30fps

For 4 cameras you need to reduce the frame rate to 10FPS on a 5MP camera. With that NVR you will be near the decode capability with one 5MP camera at 30 FPS

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj
A POE NVR has many ethernet ports, ie: one per camera.
A Non-POE NVR has only one camera ethernet port. All camera data comes through a router.
So if a router created a bottleneck, that architecture would have serious drawbacks for all those non-poe nvr's...

The OP's observation: jerkiness increases with more cams,
Suspects:
  • NVR speed. Some are spec'd to 200Mb/sec input. (With more cams, is it approaching a derated max?)
  • is the router a legacy unit, with a 100MB limit?
  • test: connect laptop (w/ wifi disabled) to an input port of the router. Run Speedtest while 1) all cams running 2) no cams running. Compare results, maybe spot the bottleneck.

Good luck!
Fastb
Many people here use a Non-POE NVR and do not route the cameras through a router.... Taking a camera through a wifi router is not advised regardless of your system setup. Many people have come here over time with these types of issues that were resolved by not passing camera video thru a router. Now the OP also has an underperforming NVR that compounds the problem.

And in post #8 after he mentioned the NVR model he had I called out what the issue is and it is the under performing NVR speed and speed at 80 Mbps...

Last edited:

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok, I installed it this way because I didn't know the effects that it would have had as a result, and with the diagram of my house it was much easier for me to bring all the network wires of my 4 cameras and the connect to my poe injector in my garage and bring a single network wire to my system to make the connection, and on many sites it was the way to connect which said thank you again for all the answers from each and everyone I have a lot learned on this site with you

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj,
Fair points And I agree with them.

Maybe I used vague or incorrect terminology. When I stated "router", I meant a "wired router", not a "WiFi router".
All my cams are wired back to the router which is right next to the nvr with its single camera input RJ45 jack. Works great.

I think root cause has been found. "the under performing NVR speed and speed at 80 Mbps "

Fastb

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what the simplest solution to solve the problem,and my nvr is connect with a wire directly to the router

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
what the simplest solution to solve the problem,and my nvr is connect with a wire directly to the router
I suggest the simplist solution would be changing the settings on your four cameras to 1080p resolution and 30 fps. Then see if it's acceptable.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get an 8 port POE switch
connect the NVR, Cameras and the router to the switch. NO camera traffic through the router.
Reduce the FPS of the camera or reduce the resolution of the cameras .

30FPS @ 1080 (1MP)
15FPS @ 2MP
7FPS @ 4MP
6FPS @ 5MP

switch
NETGEAR 8-Port PoE Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch (GS108PEv3)

Another solution would be to buy a quality POE NVR. Buy an NVR that is at least twice as big as you think you will need.

Last edited:

superpatpat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suggest the simplist solution would be changing the settings on your four cameras to 1080p resolution and 30 fps. Then see if it's acceptable.
hello, yes I tried to put the 4 cameras in 1080 and with 30fps and I still have the same problem it's strange the same

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
superpatpat,

1080p = 1920x1080 = 2MP

Four cameras using 1080p@30fps is the decoding limit specified for your NVR to display the cameras on your monitor. Perhaps you are reaching the NVR limit. You could reduce your 1080p cameras to 20-25 fps and see if it helps.

If recording the four cameras on your NVR, you might Playback each camera separately on your monitor and see if the videos look OK. Recording does not require NVR decoding.That may indicate that your NVR is receiving the four camera streams fine.

It appears that you already use a 5 port switch with 4 poe ports. It is probably a TP-Link switch that you called a "poe injector with 4 port model tl-sf- 1005p".

Good luck!