POE Camera with Excellent Night Vision

n9gux

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a customer that needs a POE camera with excellent night vision. I usually run Amcrest cameras and installed a IP8M-12499EW because the customer wanted 4K but as I understand it the higher the megapixels the lower the range of the night vision. Now the customer wants two cameras mostly dedicated for night vision. Any suggestions? TIA.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Please read the Cliff Notes and check out the WIKI. There is a world of info there.
Check out the IPC-T5442TM-AS

Look for image sensor size, nit megapixels, unless you have $25k for a camera.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here are the Amcrest cameras that have the 4MP 1/1.8" sensor.
Turret: IP4M-1048EW-AI
Bullet: IP4M-1046EW-AI

Documentation:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a customer that needs a POE camera with excellent night vision. I usually run Amcrest cameras and installed a IP8M-12499EW because the customer wanted 4K but as I understand it the higher the megapixels the lower the range of the night vision. Now the customer wants two cameras mostly dedicated for night vision. Any suggestions? TIA.
Since the Amcrests are re-branded Dahua, why not give Andy of Empire Tech a shot at it and pricing? Shoot a PM to @EMPIRETECANDY

EDIT: Hopefully Amcrest will read what I am about to say: The Amcrest site is the most annoying site on the Internet. Every 30 seconds a chat window popup occurs, blocking your view. You can ask them to stop, that you do not want to chat and that they are blocking your viewing and another one, perhaps from a different person, pops up. Because of this I buy any Amcrest cams (usually the great IP2M-841) from amazon; I avoid the Amcrest site like the plague.

n9gux

n3wb
Reaction score
EDIT: Hopefully Amcrest will read what I am about to say: The Amcrest site is the most annoying site on the Internet. Every 30 seconds a chat window popup occurs, blocking your view. You can ask them to stop, that you do not want to chat and that they are blocking your viewing and another one, perhaps from a different person, pops up. Because of this I buy any Amcrest cams (usually the great IP2M-841) from amazon; I avoid the Amcrest site like the plague.
Yes the Amcrest site chat popup drives me crazy too. Thanks for the info. I believe I am going to look at the Dahua 5442.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the 5mp 1179 are starlight "lite" and have very good low light performance compared to the 2499

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sony SNC-VB770 is good at night

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Sony SNC-VB770 is good at night
Agree, But expensive. I will be installing one if not next week then next weekend for sure.

Raveen

n3wb
Reaction score
Amcrest 1179 is the way to go for cheap low light performance. Of course its not comparable to the Dahua Starlight+ models, but it is 1/5th price and the performance is very very reasonable for the price. Also, you will have to live with the 4:3 aspect ratio, I have mine flipped 90 degrees for my application and have had a good experience. I would recommend it.

erieadams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since the Amcrests are re-branded Dahua, why not give Andy of Empire Tech a shot at it and pricing? Shoot a PM to @EMPIRETECANDY

You aint lying about the amcrest site it is the most annoying site I have ever visited for any reason

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You aint lying about the amcrest site it is the most annoying site I have ever visited for any reason
Do you guys not run ad/site blockers? Between Pihole and a couple of browser-based blockers I don't see any of those on their site.

Elgato54

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ended up going thru the IPCamTalk store and getting the IPCT-NITECOLOR-DM2. My clients love the excellent color night vision provided by this camera. Thanks again for all the help!
This looks to be about as good as it gets for under $200 ? Any reviews or comments?