Please remind me again...where do you control if BI records overlays?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm having a brain fart...it's been a couple of years since I set this up but where do you control whether or not BI records overlays such as time and/or BIT overlays?

I have BIT displaying weather info but notice that BI is recording that info. I had thought there was a way to display the weather overlay in live view without it getting recorded.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's in the video tab for the camera config of each camera. Sort of toward the bottom on the left. I use the clock in the cameras, all synced to a local time server rather than the overlay. Keeps CPU utilization down a little.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Right, I understand that but I thought there was an option to display BIT overlays without it recording to harddisk. What you stated is exactly why I don't want the overlay recorded to harddisk.

1618165121969.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I mean, it's kind of cool to have the data recorded so you can review how the temp or wind conditions changed over the day but if you were not interested in that how do you display the BIT overlay in a live cam view without it getting recorded?

1618165487211.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that in the edit tab there's a control for that, but I could be wrong and frequently am. Since WU has gone down the drain and I've stopped showing a webcam there I don't even bother with the overlays. The historical data from my weather station is available from multiple sources which makes displaying it overly redundant for my purposes.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It's probably that I don't know what I'm talking about...LOL. But, I could have sworn there was an option to record or not record the overlay. Doesn't look like there is that option which is kind of odd. Below is what you get in the Overlay-Edit screen. Interestingly enough, it appears you can record the overlay without displaying the overlay in the live cam view which is opposite of what I'm trying to do...go figure....

1618166188843.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I also could not find an option to turn off recording of the overlays. Their CPU and disk usage should be extremely minimal so I would not worry about them.

When you record using direct-to-disc to BVR format, the overlays are not burned into the video -- they are added later during playback. You can turn off the overlays during playback if you just don't want to see them. The option is there when you right click the video as it is playing (in either Blue Iris local console or in UI3).

1618167149514.png 1618167181569.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Try one more place, in the web server section. A lot of folks have had problems with the time overlay being displayed even after it's deleted and there's a setting in the web server tab that might do what you want. I'm not on the console machine at the moment so I can't name it specifically but have a look-see there, too.

Last edited: