Pixelation, Round Two

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have asked about this in the past and thought I had solved it, but still not. The issue I am having is what when there is motion, the motion part is pixelated, basically you can't see the object moving (people mostly). I have set the FPS to one level higher (where possible) in BI. I have set the iFrame to the same as the FPS. I have set it to D2D. I have set the Bite Rate to 4096. I have ran out of ideas to try and get the motion video to be clear. Does anyone have any other suggestions on clearing this up?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is your cpu rate when this occurs? Camera models? Try increasing the network receive buffer to 10mb from 1.5. When you set the frame rate higher in BI did you also uncheck adjust automatically?

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set it to 10MB already.

CPU rate hovers around 75-80% usage and I unchecked adjust automatically.

Cameras are all HIKVISION and Dahua.

IPC-HDB3200C
IPC-HFW4300S
DS-2CD2532F-IS
DS-2CD2132-I

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it hit 100 while recording? on the dahuas, see if changing the recording format (in the camera itself) from h.264h to h.264b helps...
You can also see if changing the bitrate from variable to constant or vice versa makes any difference.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It never hit's 100% About 90 is as high as I have ever seen it.

For the Dahua, I see h.264 and h.264h, not a b version; should I set it to none h mode?

I will try changing them all the constant instead of veriable and see if I get a change. Setting them all to 4096 bitrate moved me from 80% to 73%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah, set it to the h.264 mode..non h...

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of the Dahua's has the h.264b, I will set that one.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mess around with both settings...i had this issue with a dahua mini dome that had an sd card...if i recorded to sd, then i would get pixelation in blue iris...if i disabled the recording, the problem went away...i tinkered with it and found that when i changed the h.264h to one of the others..i think it was b...the problem went away even if i let it record to sd..

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, though it's not as bad. I did manage to lower CPU utilization a tiny bit. Seems to me that might be my issue and I guess I will find out when I get the upgraded system running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Overcon try temporarily disabling the cameras noise reduction and see if it eliminates the pixelation..

Last edited by a moderator:

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman which setting is that? BLC? Some other?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No there is a specific noise reduction settings...

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman I am not seeing where it specifically refers to noise reduction on the Dahua's. I did find it on the HIKVISIONS:

Here is what I see on the Dahua, maybe it is under on the of auto settings? I did web searches but none of the posts I read actually showed it, they just talk about changing it, sigh.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know that its available in every dahua.. @vector18 would know....

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some have 3d noise level some don't. I can't tell you which models, but I do not think all of them. As far as trying to get your motion from being less blurry, I would play around with the shutter speed and use as high of a bit rate as you are possible to use. Also, I do not like variable rate. That is only to try to save hdd space and lower the bit rate when not needed. Just keep the bit rate at a nice steady constant so it never fluctuates ever, go with a high bit rate as you can, and the highest fps you can as well. If your worried about recording length, than open your pockets up and buy bigger hard drives. You can't have quality video and have recording settings bogged down to save hdd space.

Attachments

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some have 3d noise level some don't. I can't tell you which models, but I do not think all of them. As far as trying to get your motion from being less blurry, I would play around with the shutter speed and use as high of a bit rate as you are possible to use. Also, I do not like variable rate. That is only to try to save hdd space and lower the bit rate when not needed. Just keep the bit rate at a nice steady constant so it never fluctuates ever, go with a high bit rate as you can, and the highest fps you can as well. If your worried about recording length, than open your pockets up and buy bigger hard drives. You can't have quality video and have recording settings bogged down to save hdd space.
Affirm. I am not worried about HD space. I have the recordings going to a RAID 6 with 8.4TB of space. The issue is pixelization on motion events. The images of the cameras are fine, but whenever someone or something moves and is recorded, that events motion is pixelated. I am trying to resolve that issue and fenderman suggested I turn off noise reduction, but apparently Dahua doesn't call it Noise Reduction, they call it 3D NR (I guess the NR is Noise Reduction :). So I am turning that off to see if it helps. I have the stuff on it's way to upgrade the server so I reduce the CPU load a lot more. Maybe it's that, I just don't know. I have literally tried every setting change I can find or that has been suggested and no go.

They are all set to constant right now, but not the highest Bit Rate. I had reduced that to see if that would reduce the CPU load and hence reduce the pixelization.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is an example of the pixelization I am encountering with all the cameras. Make nor model make a difference.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is not a setting in the NVR, no way, LOL. Something is definitely wrong there. Does it look like that if you view it live or just during playback?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is not a setting in the NVR, no way, LOL. Something is definitely wrong there. Does it look like that if you view it live or just during playback?
Its an issue with blue iris on some cams when using the direct to disc recording option...as you can see here, sometimes its easily resolved.
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2437-BI-4-Playback-issues&highlight=pixelation
That is the WORST i have ever seen it...im guessing its related to the cpu maxing out

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Playback. As far as my recollection goes, live view is fine.