PITA wifi issues

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My main outdoor cams are POE but I have a couple of wifi cams indoors, specifically a pair of Amcrest IP2m841's. But these cameras have problematic wifi and will not connect to my network (Linksys 1900ACM) unless I run wifi encryprtion in WPA2/WPA mixed mode. Unfortunately that is not compatible with some new TP-Link smart home gear that will only connect in WPA2 but not in mixed mode. Arrrrggghhh. The Amcrests have great pictures and decent night vision but I wish they had better encryption support. What is a good replacement for these indoor cams in the 2 MP range with IR that will for sure connect with WPA2? And of course, be cheap.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you must use wifi cameras (not recommended). You need to set up a separate access point, channel and SID for use of your cameras only. You will have connection problems with you other devices and cameras if you do not.

When I had two wifi cameras (now every thing is hard wired) they would drop off line When I started using the Roku.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a lot of devices on my network but still have had good luck with my wifi cams staying connected. It's just this stupid encryption issue....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...What is a good replacement for these indoor cams in the 2 MP range with IR that will for sure connect with WPA2? And of course, be cheap.
Q: "What is a good.. And of course, be cheap"

@Raylo32 go with the separate router just for those cameras - mixed mode security is probably not that secure anyways, and with a separate router you can lock down that router to only accept the MAC addresses from the cameras. ( not perfect - as you still need to worry about MAC cloning .. but at least it is a step in the right direction )

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I know mixed mode isn't great. These cams really pizzz me off. Connected via ethernet they see my WPA2 network that I can then select and enter the key and it says "connected". They just drop off as soon as the cable is removed and will not reconnect via wifi.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know mixed mode isn't great. These cams really pizzz me off. Connected via ethernet they see my WPA2 network that I can then select and enter the key and it says "connected". They just drop off as soon as the cable is removed and will not reconnect via wifi.
Hi @Raylo32

Consumers want "cheap" - so a lot of this is due to what consumers are willing to buy. Certainly there are newer model cameras which will have newer chips / firmware that have greater functional support of features.. probably even WPA2, but that will cost you more.

Last edited:

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Still missing the point. This one supposedly has WPA2 and accepts the key and connects to it in the web UI, but drops as soon as the ethernet cable is pulled. I'd like to know some decent cam recommendations for ones that are confirmed to work with WPA2.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like you didn't set WiFi as default in the camera config. WiFi must also be enabled in the config.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still missing the point. This one supposedly has WPA2 and accepts the key and connects to it in the web UI, but drops as soon as the ethernet cable is pulled. I'd like to know some decent cam recommendations for ones that are confirmed to work with WPA2.
Hi @Raylo32

No I am NOT missing the point.

1) It has been consistently pointed out here that WiFi + security cameras is problematic.
2) You pointed out that "some new TP-Link smart home gear that will only connect in WPA2 but not in mixed mode"
3) You asked for cheap solutions.
4) A cheap viable solution was provided.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got my issue resolved, another factory reset on the cams did the trick and they are connecting and streaming with WPA2 connex. I though I'd tried that back when I installed them but maybe not. Thanks for all the help. ;-)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got my issue resolved, another factory reset on the cams did the trick and they are connecting and streaming with WPA2 connex. I though I'd tried that back when I installed them but maybe not. Thanks for all the help. ;-)
That's Good news

Also remember to see if you have the latest firmware on those - sometimes they fix things...

Firmware Upgrade | Amcrest Technologies

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did check that in this process and one was up to date and one was 1 v. behind... now current from 2017. Not sure these will get any more, they are older models.

And strangely enough the v.1 TP-link plugs I bought a few weeks ago work fine with all flavors of wifi encryption but the new v.2 do not. Long chat with TP-Link and they basically said that's just the way it is, they were not going to make them compatible with mixed mode soon, if ever.

In any case I was finally able to get out of mixed mode, all my devices are working now and even Alexa is happy. :)

Last edited: