Password reset for Hikvision NVR

Nilpo

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a refurbished NVR from Nelly's. Turns out that it's still activated and I cannot do a password reset because it's not a US model (also a nice surprise).

I've tried all of the password reset options I can find. Does anyone have any ideas how to reset this guy?

NSN-108W-500G
Software Version V3.4.80 build 160817
DSP Version V5.0, build 160802

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas how to reset this guy?
One possibility :
If the NVR has PoE ports, and you have a Hikvision camera that's using firmware older than 5.4.5 and 5.3.0 or newer, the 'trojan horse' method of password extraction should work.

To do this - reset the camera to defaults so that it is 'Inactive' and connect it to an NVR PoE port.
Wait a few minutes for the NVR to 'Activate' the camera, assuming the NVR PoE channel is in the default 'Plug&Play' mode.
Connect a PC to an unused NVR PoE channel, and use SADP to find the camera, and confirm it's 'Active'.
Change the PC IP address to be in the same range as that used by the camera and in the browser use this URL :
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

All being well, it will cough up a configuration file.
Zip it up and attach here, and it can be decrypted and decoded to extract the password that the NVR used to 'Activate' the camera.
By default, this is the same as the NVR password.