Pass Through or Non Pass-Through RJ45 Connectors

Nancy Gray

n3wb
Reaction score
EDITED BY FENDERMAN: THIS IS A SPAMMER FOR VCELINK. DONT USE THEM. CANNOT BE TRUSTED

I'm a beginner to network installation and I have learned from the that there are various RJ45 connectors.

There are pass through and non pass-through RJ45 connectors on the market and I don't know which to buy for my CAT6 Ethernet cable.

This is a pass through RJ45 connector
and this is a standard RJ45 connector

Thank you so much if you can tell me about your ideas. :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
I still use non-passthru because there were not any passthru connectors 30 years ago so I got used to these and got pretty good at it, IMO, and learned some tricks along the way, got good yields, decent speed....not gonna fix something that ain't broke.

But like @OICU2 said, it's a personal preference once you've tried both.

That being said, if one is a beginner and must come up to speed quickly, pasthru might be the way to go...I probably would have started out with them if they had been around back in the day.

Regardless of which way you go, I recommend you purchase connectors with 3 point contacts made for solid or stranded conductor, such as these ==>>> CableCreation Cat6 RJ45 Ends, 50-Pack Cat6 Connector, Cat6 / Cat5e RJ45 Connector, Ethernet Cable Crimp Connectors UTP Network Plug for Solid Wire and Standard Cable, Transparent

They help insure a reliable connection on the solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) cable you're going to use.:cool:

CableCreation_CAT6-strandorsolid.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
While I've only used passthrough connectors, it seems that non-pass through connectors would be much less forgiving. With pass through, the wires don't have to be an exact length and they don't all have to be the same length to each other. Once you push the wires through the connector, it is also very easy to double check that the wires are in the correct order before you crimp the connector.

With non-pass through, it is harder to verify the order of the wires because you have to try to look through the connector housing to see the order of the wires.

I would definitely recommend pass-through from someone that has to start from scratch and buy a crimper and connectors. The crimpers are unique to the style of connector, so you'll have to pick one style and stick with it.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With non-pass through, it is harder to verify the order of the wires because you have to try to look through the connector housing to see the order of the wires.
True, but even these 74 year old eyes can see the shiny ends of 8 copper conductors when they are where they need to be...but you gotta know what you're looking for.

That being said, If I was just starting out terminating CAT cable with RJ-45's I'd likely go with the pass-thru type ! :cool:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
This video shows how you can crimp pass through connectors using regular crimpers. Audio isn't in English but skip 2/3 of the way and you'll see he's just cutting the the wire that remains sticking out after crimping.

All that being said, I'd just go pass through if you're starting out. As others have pointed out, much easier to make sure every wire is long enough and the wires are in the correct order.

There appears to be zero cost difference between the two. The pass through crimper may be more expensive but that's a one time purchase.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I said the crimpers as unique to the style of connector, but CanCuda proves you can use a non-pass through crimper on pass through connectors and I suspect the opposite is true too after thinking about it for 3 seconds. There shouldn't be a reason you couldn't use a pass through crimper on non-pass through connectors. The wire cutter on the pass through crimper will work normally, there just won't be any wires there to actually cut.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a beginner to network installation and I have learned from the article that there are various RJ45 connectors.

There are pass through and non pass-through RJ45 connectors on the market and I don't know which to buy for my CAT6 Ethernet cable.

This is a pass through RJ45 connector CAT6 RJ45 Pass Through Connector VCELINK
and this is a standard RJ45 connector https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-100-PACK-Connector-Connectors-Transparent/dp/B01K9Z4FT2/ref=sr_...

OMG, pass-thru were a godsend for a self taught terminator like myself!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recommend that you use the pass through connectors.
I have come to like Truecables wire and RJ45's.
I would suggest the following:

For education see the cable academy.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a reason why this model (Klein Tools - VDV226-011) would not work to crimp RJ-45 Cat5/6 pass-though connectors? i.e. it is designed to crimp standard RJ-45 connectors

However it would not cut off the excess wire on the connector end. That could be done with scissors or a wire side cutter. Thus no need to purchase another tool just for pass-through. Correct?

klein_tool.png

Nancy Gray

n3wb
Reaction score
I like pass through because they are faster and easier to deploy for me. You just need to make sure they made for the proper gauge CAT6 you are running. Really just a personal preference,
It is said that wires in the pass through RJ45 connectors are easier to damage because they are exposed to oxygen. Is that true?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a beginner to network installation and I have learned from the that there are various RJ45 connectors.

This is a pass through RJ45 connector
and this is a standard RJ45 connector

This is spam. Probably to promote the website you linked to. (I removed the links).

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It is said that wires in the pass through RJ45 connectors are easier to damage because they are exposed to oxygen. Is that true?
I could see where someone could make the argument that the raw end of the cable could oxidize more quickly than a non-pass through cable. However even the non-pass through cable ends are exposed to oxygen and could oxidize. Further more, the very ends of the cable aren't where the prongs make contact with the cable, so I don't think a little oxidation at the end of the cable is going to make a difference one way or another.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I could see where someone could make the argument that the raw end of the cable could oxidize more quickly than a non-pass through cable. However even the non-pass through cable ends are exposed to oxygen and could oxidize. Further more, the very ends of the cable aren't where the prongs make contact with the cable, so I don't think a little oxidation at the end of the cable is going to make a difference one way or another.
I fill the cable end of the RJ-45 connector with dielectric grease.