Palmtree cam installation?

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a camera on a palm tree? I have a drainage ditch behind my house that doesn't' get maintained by the City properly and I'm considering putting a camera on a 30 foot tall palm tree to keep track of it. I'm assuming I'll need a PTZ because I don't know how I'll ever get up there once it's installed. Once a year the tree guys remove the dead foliage from the palm and I could get them to clean it then. Just now while writing this post it's starting to seem like a bad idea.....Any advice or recommendations?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your goal, to see how water flows in it or just amount of vegetative growth?
Does it need to be that high to see the area you want?
Could a cam be closer to the ditch?

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
unless you have something in the way you most likely dont need to put it 30feet up

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Its not a palm tree, but I have had one mounted in a tree for a couple years.
For me it works great...
When its windy, it can get swaying pretty good.

I would use a backer board between the mount and tree because it can get pretty nasty if you don't.
After about a year the tree started to grow around the mounting bracket. I ended up replacing the camera and moving it to this tree.

tree mount.jpg

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We have a bunch of cameras mounted on trees. Its not the best solution, but it's the solution that works. Palm trees are good because you can run pipe on it. I would keep your mounting screws on the short side so you don't damage the tree to bad, and like @looney2ns said, It doesn't have to be at the top of the tree. In fact, the higher you go, the more sway you are going to get in the camera.

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
Never thought of a PTZ tree....the idea is intriguing to me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, lightning can be an issue, especially in the southeastern U.S. states of FL, GA, AL, MS, LA, TN, SC & southeast TX.

If so, consider using outdoor-rated, shielded CAT-5e (like Ubiquiti TOUGHcable Carrier) properly terminated with shielded RJ-45 connectors and properly grounded to Ubiquiti lighting protectors installed on each end; 1 at entrance to house (at the very least) and 1 at camera.