Overwhelmed - You're the PRO, Pls Make Reco's

Swinsols

n3wb
Reaction score
Andy,

Saw you referenced quite a bit – newbie here. Picking up a server box to run BI later today and now need to pick a couple of cameras. I don’t really care if they are “International” or domestic consumption models so long as instructions and menus are in English.

We’ve had our cars vandalized twice (once on the parking pad, once on the street) and a couple of neighborhood burglaries. I’m assuming the perpetrators troll the neighborhood prior to picking a target, so I want to see the street (~160’ ft out) pretty well (make/model ID if possible) – lic plate grabber at the mailbox watching oncoming traffic (we

in the near future (we’re on a cul de sac), but not just yet.

Too many choices for me to sort through with any competence, all with NV, some with Mic, various resolutions, others with – well, I don’t even know… , so I thought I’d reach out to you.

Immediate needs (Red Zones):

I’m planning to start with Just 2 cameras to gain familiarity with the software and camera performance and was thinking of something like:

Cam 1: 4MP (or poss 4K) 2.x-1x.x Motor Focus (Dome) with mic and really good NV/StarVIs capability to cover the parking pad and enough resolution to help the police ID faces. Placed at ~10’ high & ~60ft distance (more is better) & ~90deg angle of viewing

Cam 2: 4K? 2.x-1x.x PTZ? (Dome or bullet) (with/without mic) and NV/StarVis(-like?) - to get a sense of how well I can see the road and a portion of the front yard (and possibly some of the neighbor’s yards) so I can scan that area when there’s been an incident (either me or within the neighborhood). Placed at ~20’ high & 20ft-~160ft distance & ~90-ish deg angle of viewing

Near-term (Yellow Zones):

One side-yard &

License plate reader

Google View of my house: (sent in EM)...

Longer-Term (not shown):

Units to cover each of the 5 entries, on deck, under deck, one in the garage, wide back & side yards…

Perhaps 12-14ish cameras in total.

Then –

Do you have a suggestion for video synopsis?

Do any of the camera mfgs produce cameras with black IR so that I can do some that are less obvious in the dark? Having never done this before, I suspect the regular IR’s generally have visible glow/brightness about them. I’m familiar with black IR on my Game Cameras and it works like a charm – no visible light at all when they get triggered.

I’d like camera reco’s for each of situations but I’m ready to buy the first two now.

Depending on how this goes, I may come back to you for a stand alone great resolution wide FOV and LPR for a solution at the one entrance to our neighborhood (and a few scattered elsewhere) to capture all vehicles that enter & leave, again with the presumption that thieves troll first. I’m on the HOA board and coordinator for the neighborhood watch.

FYI – the video server I’m picking up is: HP z240 Workstation, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Intel i7 6700 3.4GHz, 512GB NVME SSD, 8GB Memory, DVDRW, NIC, Intel IGD TWR, No Monitor Included, Factory Recert and adding a WD Purple 4T.
BTW ~$800 delivered - SCORE!....?

Will run BI and still have to select a POE switch – perhaps you have a reco for/can source that too?

I look forward to your input.

Best,
Keith

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Keith,

Did you mean to email Andy? Or posting this here to get a reply?

Feel free to look at the notes with regards to IR questions you have, in particular look at 850nm vs 940nm
( I think you're referring to "black IR" to mean 940nm )

IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Note that domes are not very good outside, so you probably want to look at a turret model instead.
example of recent problems with domes mentioned in the forum:
Camera great during day - awful at night

If you would like 2 cameras to play with I would suggest that one of them be the very popular IPC-HDW5231xxx turret starlight model. Feel free to check the notes for more on it, or search the forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unless you have really great lighting, my bet is you will want to worry less about the 4MP/4K resolutions and focus on the Starlight like mat200 (and pretty much everyone else recommends on these forums), unless your break-ins are happening in broad daylight (I get it can happen), they always seem to happen around here at night and you will need the better low-lux performance. Added bonus, the 2MP starlight cameras will be less expensive and require less storage as well, which will allow you to double-down on cameras with tighter focal regions for improved ID.

Consider an overview camera (not good for ID but good for context) and tightly focused cameras on the doors of where you park the vehicles to maximize the pixels for id (shoot for 100 ppi). The Wiki mat200 posted is highly recommended, although it covers a lot it is condensed from all over these forums. It will do the most to get you up-to-speed quickly.

Swinsols

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 and @crw030 -

I did try to reach Andy by PM & EM to (kingsecurity2014@163.com) but just haven't heard back yet - unsure if I even posted to PM properly. I've lurked on ipcamtalk for awhile but only just posted anything yesterday.

Thanks for your input, I'll check out that wiki and I like the starlight option as well - I have pretty good ambient light on the parking pad - 2x 100w coach lights on the garage corners and can easily add a motion detector LED light bank of the existing lighting is insufficient.

I did notice the "best overall security camera on the market" reference a couple of days ago but the age of that post led me to wonder if that standing was still valid. The first post in that thread (Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) was in 2014 and most recent post on page 192 was in 2016 - so I wondered if the reference was still relevant - didn't read all the pages in between, but did skim the first couple and the last. Since you guys think that is still a good item, I'm happy to try it out - and I see it is still referenced in the Cliff Notes, so...
I like the Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-Z @ $169 from AliExpress noted in the Cliff Notes doc - shall I wait to hear from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY or just pull the trigger with AliExpress?

Black IR - that's what I've seen in called in promo materials for my Game Cameras. I see the discussion in Cliff Notes and adjunct 940nm emitters - I didn't notice cameras that come that way - will look further.

Thanks a bunch!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 and @crw030 -

I did try to reach Andy by PM & EM to (kingsecurity2014@163.com) but just haven't heard back yet - unsure if I even posted to PM properly. I've lurked on ipcamtalk for awhile but only just posted anything yesterday.
I like the Dahua 2MP Starlight Varifocal Turret IPC-HDW5231R-Z ..

Black IR - that's what I've seen in called in promo materials for my Game Cameras. I see the discussion in Cliff Notes and adjunct 940nm emitters - I didn't notice cameras that come that way - will look further.

Thanks a bunch!
Hi Swinsols, Keith, Happy to help

Andy is in China, so you'll need to take the time zone differences with regards to his ability to reply.

The information is still valid w/regards to the 2mp varifocal turret providing significant value for low light needs.

Note - most cameras have 850nm IR leds - as they are more effective compared to 940nm. So if you want to run in IR B/W mode you will see the red glow. One option with the starlights is to keep the camera in color mode if you have enough ambient light to do so. Another would be to get a external 940nm IR illuminator and somehow configure the camera to have it's IR leds turned off when it goes into IR mode. ( this should be possible from what I have read for better cameras. note, I have not done so as I'm fine with the 850nm IR light leds glowing at night for the locations I have the cameras in B/W mode at night )

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Lol, when you guys talking here is middle night, we have 13hours different. I send you an PM right now.@swinsols

Swinsols

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input from all of you -

Here are the recommendations so far:
IPC-HDBW5830R-Z 8MP 2.7mm-12mm Motor WDR StarVis 150ft IR Dome $225 Cam1 - Parking Pad (~60ft): 8MP
SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x Optical Zoom WDR Starlight 300ft IR PTZ Pendant $325 Cam2 - Front of house to Street(~160ft), Wide & Long
SD59225U-HNI 2MP 25x Optical Zoom WDR Starlight 450 ft IR PTZ Pendant $510 Cam2 - Option - Auto Tracking Front of house to Street(~160ft), Wide & Long
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E 2MP 5.3mm-64mm 12x StarVis WDR 600ft IR Bullet $215 Cam 3-LPR
ORDERED---DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z 2MP 2.7mm ~12mm motor WDR StarVis WDR 150ft IR Mic Eyeball $167 Cam 4 - Side & Rear Yards Side of house (~100ft), Wide & Long-ish

As this is my very first encounter with this technology, I ordered only one camera to get me started - the DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z to get used to the BI software, PC, Switch and camera functionality. Also it tests the connection with Andy who is Hong Kong for service - it is only becuase so many ipcamtalk folks have had suchpositive results that even considered that as an option. So far, so good, cam should be here in a couple of days.

I also ordered the BV-Tech 10 Port PoE+ Industrial DIN Rail Switch (8 PoE+ Ports | Gigabit Ethernet & SFP Uplink) - 96W - 802.3at for $89 from Amazon. It has too few ports for my ultimate planned solution, but it will also do for starters and the power/port/price ration looked good.

Time to order BI and begin tinkering.

Thanks for all the input - if other recos are sent, I will look at those as I pick up more cameras. I must say I think the two Pendants are way to bulky for the house and the HOA, but I don't know what else will reach out (~160ft+) in a Turret-like camera. - Thoughts?

Thanks again - Keith

keithl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I also ordered the BV-Tech 10 Port PoE+ Industrial DIN Rail Switch (8 PoE+ Ports | Gigabit Ethernet & SFP Uplink) - 96W - 802.3at for $89 from Amazon. It has too few ports for my ultimate planned solution, but it will also do for starters and the power/port/price ration looked good.

Thanks again - Keith
Check out the IPCamPower 24 Port POE Network Switch W/ 2 Gigabit Uplink Ports it handles 250 watts, passive cooling and is only $149. I went with a fully managed 24 port gigabit switch becasue I need to aggregate my 2 servers and house network.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076HWG8F3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BMike

n3wb
Reaction score

Here are the recommendations so far:
IPC-HDBW5830R-Z 8MP 2.7mm-12mm Motor WDR StarVis 150ft IR Dome $225 Cam1 - Parking Pad (~60ft): 8MP
SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x Optical Zoom WDR Starlight 300ft IR PTZ Pendant $325 Cam2 - Front of house to Street(~160ft), Wide & Long
SD59225U-HNI 2MP 25x Optical Zoom WDR Starlight 450 ft IR PTZ Pendant $510 Cam2 - Option - Auto Tracking Front of house to Street(~160ft), Wide & Long
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E 2MP 5.3mm-64mm 12x StarVis WDR 600ft IR Bullet $215 Cam 3-LPR
ORDERED---DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z 2MP 2.7mm ~12mm motor WDR StarVis WDR 150ft IR Mic Eyeball $167 Cam 4 - Side & Rear Yards Side of house (~100ft), Wide & Long-ish

As this is my very first encounter with this technology, I ordered only one camera to get me started - the DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z to get used to the BI software, PC, Switch and camera functionality. Also it tests the connection with Andy who is Hong Kong for service - it is only becuase so many ipcamtalk folks have had suchpositive results that even considered that as an option. So far, so good, cam should be here in a couple of days.

Time to order BI and begin tinkering.

Thanks for all the input - if other recos are sent, I will look at those as I pick up more cameras. I must say I think the two Pendants are way to bulky for the house and the HOA, but I don't know what else will reach out (~160ft+) in a Turret-like camera. - Thoughts?

Thanks again - Keith
Hi Keith,
could you point me to where you found this camera for that price:

Thanks