Opinions on female-female RJ45 connectors

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking to move a couple of my POE cameras a couple meters. No more than 5 meters (15 feet) max each.

The longest run I want to extend is currently 30 meters (100 feet).

Would one female-to-female connector on each run negatively affect signal quality at all? There's no other cables closeby that would cause electrical interferance.

Cheers

Reaction score
My two LPR cams and three other cams on my front porch all go through two patch panels in my attic spaces prior to getting to the IT closet. From there they go into another patch panel which is then fed into the POE switch. That POE switch is then fed into another switch which my BI PC is also connected to. I have had no issues.

IMG_4751.JPG
10.JPG
DSC_4930.JPG

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Would one female-to-female connector on each run negatively affect signal quality at all?
At all? Yes, adding connectors and cable affects the quality, but I think that's the wrong question. Will it cause data loss or compromise data integrity? Most likely not at all with the length of your cable run. A caution I'll give is I've had moisture intrusion issues with the waterproof inline connectors, and have gone to using dielectric grease on all of the gasket surfaces.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
My two LPR cams and three other cams on my front porch all go through two patch panels in my attic spaces prior to getting to the IT closet. From there they go into another patch panel which is then fed into the POE switch. That POE switch is then fed into another switch which my BI PC is also connected to. I have had no issues.

View attachment 144664
View attachment 144662
View attachment 144665
Nice setup!

I figured a connector wouldn't affect the connection very much. Thanks for confirming.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
At all? Yes, adding connectors and cable affects the quality, but I think that's the wrong question. Will it cause data loss or compromise data integrity? Most likely not at all with the length of your cable run. A caution I'll give is I've had moisture intrusion issues with the waterproof inline connectors, and have gone to using dielectric grease on all of the gasket surfaces.
Yes, your question is correct: Will it cause data loss or compromise data integrity?

I'll be putting the connectors inside the junction boxes where the cameras are currently mounted (after sealing the holes when the camera is removed) so the connectors won't be directly exposed to moisture. I'm in the Caribbean so we don't get huge temperature fluctuations like back in cold Canada.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What suggestions for a decent 110 punch down tool for hobby use?
Hi @Alaska Country

I've used some tools from Monoprice for cable crimping .. I already had a punch down tool .. I would consider Monoprice and / or Amazon for a source ..

Mononprice only has one model in when I checked .. Amazon had a few models under $20 I would consider ..

@Holbs started a thread on tools topic, I'd check that out ..

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking to move a couple of my POE cameras a couple meters. No more than 5 meters (15 feet) max each.

Would one female-to-female connector on each run negatively affect signal quality at all? There's no other cables closeby that would cause electrical interferance.

Cheers
I have had to use them in a pinch, still running with no issues for like 8 years, as others have said, keep the elements out of them you will be fine.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Our business commercial standard is NoNo in regards to any extention of network cable.
But we do it anyways about 2% of the time :)
It's frowned upon but it will work. Just means you have an additional point of failure to be concerned about. You can weatherproof a box all you like, but the morning dew, humidity, morning/afternoon temperature differences will "adhere" to the brass/copper pieces by....magic and will eventually form rust. May take a year. May take 20 years. Hence, we do not do it often. If has to be done outside, we do weather proof, but go that extra mile of slapping on shrink tubing over the splice with dielectric grease included. You only get 1 shot at this.

For science reasons, I have no idea what loss happens in a splice. I may test that with our Fluke cable tester. Test 1 cable. Test 1 cable with 1 splice. Test 1 cable with 10 splices. I'm curious....
For our splices, we simply punch the wire down to a Cat6 jack. The other end is a RJ45 modular plug. I assume the above mentioned "Cat6 inline coupler" would work as well.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I used one of these last night temporarily while i was trying to change the IP address of a camera after i moved it from an NVR to a switch.
It was just a temporary tool to avoid getting a ladder and factory resetting the cam...worked well for that.
I had split the rj-45 and done the terminations to have a 2 cam-1 line solution for adding my LPR outside.
but one cam had a "static IP in the 10.0.x.x" scheme and i needed the female to female to reconnect it the NVR as a solo cam....so i could turn off the Static Ip setting and change the gateway IP...worked just fine in that capacity.
Long term im sure it would have been a corrosion concern. 2 inches off the ground with Winter coming.

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I think having a small assortment of double male or double female connectors is good to have in the tool box. Primarily for the scenarios like @Flintstone61 mentioned, and sometimes temporary 'band-aid' fix due to lack of supplies on hand. Much like @Holbs I always strive to achieve minimal points of failure.

Of course, there are instances when the a device like this brings additional functionality, and it is good practice to install it.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
instructional video might help him:
But on the camera side of the cable, it should just be a plug, and use the waterproof connector that comes with the camera.
Some of them you have to partly assemble when you crimp, like in the video below, others, the hole in the back is big enough for an assembled cable to slip thru, then you can put on the rubber/foam insert and assemble after connecting the cable.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Cheers
A camera run is a 100mb link. So theoretically it wouldn't make a difference however, a simple coupler I would only use inside a room.
In attics and outside, I use a weatherproof coupler:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI -

If it is easily accessible then female to female is ok, as you may need to test that and check for issues ..

otherwise I like the following if it is not easy to access:

View attachment 144673

View attachment 144674
Yeah, it would just be female-to-female connectors. I don't foresee any issues due to the these runs being as short as 5m and the longest being 30m at most.

Also
A camera run is a 100mb link. So theoretically it wouldn't make a difference however, a simple coupler I would only use inside a room.
In attics and outside, I use a weatherproof coupler:
Yeah, I've been looking at these on Amazon. I'll probably install regular couplers initially and once I confirm the placement, install these. We get torrential rains sometimes here in the islands and I don't like equipment failing.

Thanks

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I used one of these last night temporarily while i was trying to change the IP address of a camera after i moved it from an NVR to a switch.
It was just a temporary tool to avoid getting a ladder and factory resetting the cam...worked well for that.
I had split the rj-45 and done the terminations to have a 2 cam-1 line solution for adding my LPR outside.
but one cam had a "static IP in the 10.0.x.x" scheme a need the female to female to reconnect it the NVR as a solo cam....so i could turn off the Static Ip setting and change the gateway IP...worked just fine in that capacity.
Long term im sure it would have been a corrosion concern. 2 inches off the ground with Winter coming.
Fortunately, I no longer have to suffer through "winters" but living south bring other challenges (high humidity, torrential rains, etc). But I'll take that over snow, slush and gray.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
but one cam had a "static IP in the 10.0.x.x" scheme a need the female to female to reconnect it the NVR as a solo cam....so i could turn off the Static Ip setting and change the gateway IP...worked just fine in that capacity.
I have used those my self.