OpenALPR Missed This One ....

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment NLPR.20211130_180001_1.mp4

If you go through it frame by frame, you can see only 2 or 3 frames get completely washed out, while the frames preceding those and following those are quite clear. This is a consistent theme with missed plates at night.

These are my Night-time cam (IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E) settings:

ALPR01.JPG

ALPR02.JPG

ALPR03.JPG

ALPR04.JPG

Any suggestions for settings changes to adjust for that center frame washout?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It happens. I have some very clean plates go by that OpenALPR completely misses, yet the rustiest dirty plate comes by I cannot manually read and it gets it.

But you did get that blinding white in the middle. I would probably take the iris down to 50 and HLC to 50 and bump up brightness to compensate if needed. I think the 100 iris is why it washed out.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It happens. I have some very clean plates go by that OpenALPR completely misses, yet the rustiest dirty plate comes by I cannot manually read and it gets it.

But you did get that blinding white in the middle. I would probably take the iris down to 50 and HLC to 50 and bump up brightness to compensate if needed. I think the 100 iris is why it washed out.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Tweaking the settings gets to be tough after a while because, as you point out, it captures some things which are unexpected and then misses things it seems like it should read.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Late at night I have a neighbor return home through my LPR camera, a Z12E. It misses her every time. From what I can tell, it is because her headlights sweep another camera I have, which is running DS. The spike in CPU seems to cause the issue. It is her timing in doing so that seems to cause the issue. I haven't found it happening on many other plates. Most that it misses are not visible when I look at them, paper, whatever. But it catches the vase majority.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if your CPU is struggling when that car goes by this might help Rekor Documentation

camera_buffer_size = 60
My CPU is an i9-9900k and seems solid at less than 15% while running GPU acceleration for both Rekor and Deepstack. I checked my settings and had it set for 30, but I bumped it up to 60 to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the tip.