Odd IP address on connections log with BI app

OBXJeepGuy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was going over the myriad of IP addresses that perpetually seem to want to connect (port sniffers, etc.) and a really odd IP address came up listing my phone logging in as admin. This is what shows when I log in via the BI iOS app.
Hopefully putting this info up isn't a no-no. The IP address in question is listed as Google, LLC. Go figure. Check out the iPhone connection in red.

Attachments

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using port forwarding to connect to your BI server from the Wan?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If you use the BI app (or coming in some other way), that's what it will look like if you're logging in as admin. If you use another account, it will show that name. That's fine.

The 35. address likely is from your mobile or another WiFi network. The 192. addresses are local. Guessing that you're not using VPN. If so, then your remote connection typically will be a 10.8.0.x address if using OpenVPN. Could be some other but the 35. address would be odd for that.

OBXJeepGuy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you use the BI app (or coming in some other way), that's what it will look like if you're logging in as admin. If you use another account, it will show that name. That's fine.

The 35. address likely is from your mobile or another WiFi network. The 192. addresses are local. Guessing that you're not using VPN. If so, then your remote connection typically will be a 10.8.0.x address if using OpenVPN. Could be some other but the 35. address would be odd for that.
That’s where I’m lost. Usually, it comes in on my LAN IP or a Verizon IP address. I can’t imagine why I would be routed through a google IP address.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh.. gotcha. Maybe connected to a Google operated WiFi hotspot?

Remember where you were around 1:30 yesterday?

OBXJeepGuy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah. I was at work. On the one listed at the top. That’s the scary part. And I don’t remember if I was on at 1:30, or not.

OBXJeepGuy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I finally got a minute to myself to try something.

Okay, so here's what happens. I can be at my BI console watching "Blue Iris Status" under "connections", and log on to my IOS app. As soon as I do that, my home public IP address comes up. Then almost immediately, (sometimes a few seconds later) I can watch the 35.245.188.175 address replace my public IP right there on the screen. And I don't mean by adding another line. It replaces my IP address with the Google one.

It ALSO does it when I open the app when on Verizon LTE.

This tells me the BI app itself is being routed through Google.

OBXJeepGuy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you using port forwarding to connect to your BI server from the Wan?
To answer your question, I believe the answer is yes. I am aware this is a big no no. I need to get in there and fix that. I was going to wait until I had my pfSense appliance in place, but that thing is driving me crazy. I actually figured that out, but that's as far as I have gotten.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the BI app is being routed through Google, that is a result of something you have done such as port forwarding, stunnel, paid VPN (not the VPN where you are the host), etc.

I just mimicked what you did and mine shows the LAN private IP address and doesn't change. Mine doesn't access the internet.

OBXJeepGuy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Indeed I have port forwarding enabled as that’s the only way I can view it remotely. I just blocked the ip in SEP as I am still not using my pfSense appliance. No more problems since.