OBDII-USB Dongle & FORScan Anybody?

Reaction score
Is anyone else using this?

So, I have been working on
my new Truck and I have seen a lot of YouTube videos on all sorts of things-- dash button "hacks" to get into service menus via the Sync3 system--- lots of interesting things to do on this F-150. One of the things I need to do is program a new Key Fob. You can do this pretty easily if you already have TWO keyfobs, but I only have one. My search for a way to avoid a spendy trip to the dealership led me down a new rabbit hole.....

1597521296764.png

So--- that obdII dongle and some free software (FORScan) will allow far more than just programming a keyfob....

1597521551319.png

So--- have you hacked your vehicle lately??? :cool::cool::cool:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Hey kid, I've used this one of the same brand for about 6 years on my Chevy Volt:

It looks like it's been discontinued, but that they have a newer version, the MX+. It's also more expensive, probably because it's wireless (bluetooth). It works great with Android, but I'm not sure if it works with iOS or not. I think the USB one would only work with with a Win computer? I use an app called Torque Pro on my phone and tablets, which is awesome to get all the info you could ever want about what your car is doing under the hood. Hacking your vehicle is very fun! :cool:

I didn't know you could link a new Key Fob to your car with an OBDII Scan Tool, that's pretty cool.

Anyway, I've never had any problem with my OBDLink device, I'm sure this one would work well also. Looking at the OBDLink web site at OBDLink® EX USB (and look at the Compare tab) it looks like you could also get a bluetooth one that would work with Ford, if you want to go wireless, although I don't know if it works specifically with FORScan.
I have a cheap code reader--- have used it for years. Searching Amazon shows a Lot of different connectors for OBD-- BT and USB, with some under $20... but some reviews on the cheap ones are a bit scary. I did buy the more expensive one above just because I know it will work solidly with this software. This should be a pretty cool thing.... I saw the Torque Pro software mentioned in a few places. I am not interested in messing with things under the hood too much-- though I bet there are those who can use these tools to squeeze a few more MPG's out of their engines. That might be cool to mess with.

From the reading I've done so far, the sorts of features people were hacking to "turn on" in their systems on F-150's, Ford has made them directly available in the menu system on my 2019. There ARE some other items that I will mess with though.... All of the major vehicles each have a "theme" in Sync3-- and they are all stored in there. Want your Ford Focus sync screen to load up and display like a Mustang GT--- you can do that... LOL

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used a cheap elm obd2 with Torque and Forscan on my 2015 F150. My truck did not come with navigation installed. But Forscan and a hacked png file activated it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I used a cheap elm obd2 with Torque and Forscan on my 2015 F150. My truck did not come with navigation installed. But Forscan and a hacked png file activated it.

THAT is damn cool!! so they apparently throw the GPS hardware in each vehicle, just not the software to run it.... wow.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
THAT is damn cool!! so they apparently throw the GPS hardware in each vehicle, just not the software to run it.... wow.
Yes, there is more info on XDA if you are interested.