NVR two Buildings

best0186

n3wb
Reaction score
I the past I was running 5 IP cameras and using a PC as a NVR. I recently moved and now have two buildings and will probably end up with closer to 12 cameras. I would like to utilize a stand alone NVR. The House is wired for cameras and I’d like to put the NVR with all the other network equipment. The shop is also wired for cameras, the each wire does not go to the house. I have three Cat6 going from the house to shop (I was thinking one for cameras, one for internet, and one for future use)
Here’s the question:
Is there any problems with utilizing a POE switch inside the shop for all the cameras and using the 1 cat6 from the POE switch in the shop into an NVR in the house?

ShadowFox

n3wb
Reaction score
If the NVR in the house is on the same network as the Cat6 cable heading to the shop, you only need to connect the Cat6 running from the house to the shop to the POE switch, then run the cameras out from the switch. You don't need to run a return line. This is exactly how I put cameras on my girlfriend's detached garage with the NVR in the house.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the NVR you should be able to define network cameras and not use the POE ports on the NVR. A 16 port NVR will support 16 cameras. So get a POE switch and put it in the shop, run the cameras to the switch, then connect the switch to the home network , that is connected to the NVR. Define the IP address for the camera in the NVR. The cameras will have the IP address of the home network, not the NVR poe network.

Only one cable between the house and shop is needed