Noob Question

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry if this was previously discussed, not a lot of time to research. I’m currently serving and home for a short time. With all the recent riots I decided to put up a camera system to watch over my family when deployed. Ordered and received a Lorex 8k system; after installing two cameras and dealing with their customer service I decided to send it back. After reading several posts here I just placed an order with Andy.

One question I can’t find an answer for. I ordered a NVR with internal POE; do all cameras have to be plugged directly into the NVR? I already have wires ran for the exterior cameras to the laundry room on the second floor. I would like to add and interior camera but can not run a wire from that location; it can be plugged into the home LAN instead?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most NVRs will say it isn't possible, but several have been able to do that. My neighbors NVR found the cameras automatically, but you may have to add them manually by IP address if they do not find them.

You could always go with the NVR with one internet port and then POE splitters.

Reaction score
@bigredfish has a thread that may help you. Thanks for your service. Good luck!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry if this was previously discussed, not a lot of time to research. I’m currently serving and home for a short time. With all the recent riots I decided to put up a camera system to watch over my family when deployed. Ordered and received a Lorex 8k system; after installing two cameras and dealing with their customer service I decided to send it back. After reading several posts here I just placed an order with Andy.

One question I can’t find an answer for. I ordered a NVR with internal POE; do all cameras have to be plugged directly into the NVR? I already have wires ran for the exterior cameras to the laundry room on the second floor. I would like to add and interior camera but can not run a wire from that location; it can be plugged into the home LAN instead?

Thanks

It’ll work just fine

You can use the PoE ports AND record other cams on the local network. No problem

See example below. (5432 NVR)
The 10.1.1.x cameras are plugged into the PoE ports. The 192.168.1.x cameras are plugged into an external PoE switch which in turn is connected to the home router.

*Allow the cameras plugged into the PoE ports to register themselves. Dont try to force them to the bottom window. The External cameras you will have to do a search in the top pane for, then manually add them to the bottom pane.

comboPoEandExternalswitch.jpg

***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

Last edited: