Noip down?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Having trouble with two locations today. Anyone else having noip issues today?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Info from someone else from another community

"YesThey are
they hope will be fixed soon

"We want to update all our loyal customers about the service outages that many of you are experiencing today. It is not a technical issue. This morning, Microsoft served a federal court order and seized 22 of our most commonly used domains because they claimed that some of the subdomains have been abused by creators of malware. We were very surprised by this. We have a long history of proactively working with other companies when cases of alleged malicious activity have been reported to us. Unfortunately, Microsoft never contacted us or asked us to block any subdomains, even though we have an open line of communication with Microsoft corporate executives."

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Info from someone else from another community

"YesThey are
they hope will be fixed soon

"We want to update all our loyal customers about the service outages that many of you are experiencing today. It is not a technical issue. This morning, Microsoft served a federal court order and seized 22 of our most commonly used domains because they claimed that some of the subdomains have been abused by creators of malware. We were very surprised by this. We have a long history of proactively working with other companies when cases of alleged malicious activity have been reported to us. Unfortunately, Microsoft never contacted us or asked us to block any subdomains, even though we have an open line of communication with Microsoft corporate executives."
Yikes, that doesn't sound good.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the same issue at work today. I use dyndns for my camera setups so no problem there. Total bull that Microsoft did that without contacting no-ip and more so that MS was able to obtain the court order without serving any notice on no-ip.
This is MS version of what happened. http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/06/30/microsoft-takes-on-global-cybercrime-epidemic-in-tenth-malware-disruption.aspx
I still dont see how they got an ex parte restraining order.
Someone here is lying.
"Despite numerous reports by the security community on No-IP domain abuse, the company has not taken sufficient steps to correct, remedy, prevent or control the abuse or help keep its domains safe from malicious activity."

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The question is, when the heck will it come back online. I depend on remote viewing right now and it's down.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the interim you can use the actual ip address. If you are not at the location you can log into your no-ip account and find the ip address.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By Microsoft's own account, it appears that no-ip *may* only be quilty of being exploited by cyber criminals. To make no effort to contact no-ip and work together with them to resolve this problem makes no sense and could leave Microsoft open to lawsuits by no-ip and the people who use them. Btw, who gave Microsoft the authority to act as Internet police? It's not like MS servers or domains were being personally attacked.

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. I agree that's a super bold move. Two versions of a story. MS got the upper hand. It could be a while before no-ip is back. Sounds though like MS will only filter bad traffic out, and would route legitimate traffic properly. Who knows. Pretty big job to undertake with noip's popularity.

... the court granted our request and made Microsoft the DNS authority for the company’s 23 free No-IP domains, allowing us to identify and route all known bad traffic to the Microsoft sinkhole ...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What no-ip should have done is have different domain names for the free and paid customers. As a paid user, I'm pissed that i have to deal with this.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hear you. Not good not to have the service you pay for. And legal limbo is quite a bit worse then an overload, quick outage, ...

We've had several bouts of trouble when either some internet authority / major web provider / isp / ... blacklisted either an entire array of hosting servers or a specific shared server, taking all of its hosted websites and email accounts along with it. Takes a few days to get it sorted out.

In the end, paid customers end up getting a free one month service extension for the trouble.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
The plot thickens. Noip seems to be blocked altogether now. Can't even reach the site. I was able to add a free host this morning but by the time I got back on today, the site is unreachable. I wanted to help a client. Can't do that at the moment. Oy.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Microsoft filed for an ex part temporary restraining order against NOIP and basically shut them down without even a hearing. So the millions of people that use NOIP are screwed until a trial can be held, so lets just say it's not going to instantly start working any time soon.

My take is that the judge granted the TRO ex parte (meaning single party without the other party being able to respond) without regard to the impact to millions of users. My only hope is that some savvy lawyer starts a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for impacting their business and security. I also hope that NOIP gets an ex parte TRO preventing MS from selling Microsoft Windows 8.1 because hackers use that operating system, LOL, that would be so awesome.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Like I said, I was able to add a free host at 7am and add that for remote devices. It's working fine. But if you missed that opportunity, you're stuck at the moment.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder what if anything dyndns has to do with this too. Noip free, taking tons of our potential paid subscriptions? We'll see about that...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not worth the hassle. Just moved my office to dyndns....30 dollars for two years.