No Signal Problem

Reaction score
Hello. I am running a total of 7 3MP Amcrest IP cameras, one of which is hardwired into my Comcast modem. I am having trouble with loss of signal almost 200 times a day if not more, even from my hardwired one (I dont know why). However I do have many WeMo light switches, 2 Google Homes, 2 Computers, etc all running on the same SSID and Modem.

I am running Xfinity Extreme (fastest internet they offer). I know I can buy a switch and hardwire all of them.

My question is, can I install a separate router (LinkSys) to my Comcast (modem & router) and link my Computers, WeMo's, Google Homes, etc and just leave the 7 IP Cameras linked to the Comcast modem/router?

All help is greatly appreciated!!

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Bryan.

First recommendation is read IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk.

This will shed a great deal of light on your questions.

You will probably want to forget WiFi and hard wire all cams to a switch. Not to your router. Your internet connection has nothing to do with your local network.
You can get a separate router and put your ISP router in pass through mode so it will just be a modem for internet access. ASUS is a very popular choice here because of the built in OpenVPN feature.
You'll want to learn about that for remote viewing of your cams.

Welcome!