No disk space DS-7608NI-E2-8P

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My DVR started alerting yesterday. I checked the configuration and noticed I have 0Mb disk space. Can I initialize or format the disk to get back to normal? Or, might I have a bigger problem. I know I will lost data but I’m ok with that.
thanks

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My DVR started alerting yesterday. I checked the configuration and noticed I have 0Mb disk space. Can I initialize or format the disk to get back to normal? Or, might I have a bigger problem. I know I will lost data but I’m ok with that.
thanks
That should do it and yet save your settings according to the Quick Start Guide but you shouldn't have to do that. I would think you'd have the overwrite function checked in the settings:

Hik_NVR_HDD_overwrite.jpg

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I had overwrite set but thanks, I will check it.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I resolved my problem but the unit started beeping again. Recording has stopped. I believe my hard drive is bad. Can someone point me to the process to reformat/init? I tried this yesterday and got to 20% and it stopped with no indication as to why. Worst case I will purchase a new drive but wanted to try this first. Thanks

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought I resolved my problem but the unit started beeping again. Recording has stopped. I believe my hard drive is bad. Can someone point me to the process to reformat/init? I tried this yesterday and got to 20% and it stopped with no indication as to why. Worst case I will purchase a new drive but wanted to try this first. Thanks
The abrupt stop at 20% seems to help your suspicion of the HDD being no good. Remove the drive from the DVR and connect it to a windows machine and try to format it. This will hopefully give you a bit more detail if/when the process fails.

Also, if you can determine the HDD make & model, often times the manufacturer website has windows-based tools/utilities that you can diagnose the drive with.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I turned off HDD Sleeping and tried Init again this morning. The init went through this time and came back stating the disk was normal (abnormal previously) with full disk space available. I rebooted and then the status of the disk was “repairing” then back to normal. It attempts to record when motion occurs however nothing is recorded. Is there something I’m missing to do post the disk init to reenable recording?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe the manual will shed light on any specific steps?

With no footage to lose, seems like a good opportunity to spend some quality time watching the progress meter of the manufacturer's drive diagnostic utilities to ensure there is not any HDD issues the DVR is not capable of notifying you about.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks but the manual does not tell me if there’s something to do post a disk init to reenable recording which is why I’m asking.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe my hard drive is bad.
The attribute values in the 'SMART Settings' in the NVR web GUI will confirm in some detail the HDD status to determine if it's faulty.
Configuration | Storage | Storage Management | HDD detection.

If you need the values interpreted, do a couple of screenshots of them.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for offering up suggestions. I realize this is not cut and dry.

I’ve been playing a bit with disk checks and did a few inits and after a few strange experiences I seem to be back up and running. I was just about to pull the plug and order a new drive but after one more init and a reboot its been stable for few hours now. I believe I do (or did) have a few bad disk sectors. I will monitor it. I don’t have a windows machine since I converted to Mac a few years back so I had to stay within the Hiks interface.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I saw them but would they now be reset since I did the init? I checked that thread but did not find the interpretation of the values yet. I will check more later.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Those values are ok, no indications of any HDD problems.
Did you also take a look at the NVR log to see if there are any clues to any problems?

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There were definitely disk problems. I saw HDD Error 1, the disk status showed abnormal for a bit and I could not read or write to it.

I’m in the middle of some home renovations and miss placed my thumb drives so did not get a chance to check the logs yet.

tate16t

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just checked. The disk status is back to showing abnormal and I cannot read or write to it.