New system up but not optimized

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to the home surveillance system group and, like some others here, it was after my car was stolen from my driveway that I started planning and implementing my system. I bought six 4MP bullet cameras, 1000' of CAT6, and a NVR computer with plans to install Blue Iris before the project stalled. I finally hired an installer who installed the cameras and ran the cables. I bought a Cisco SG350-MP10 POE managed switch and plugged everything in. Well, it wasn't that simple. Much thought went into it.

So, my NVR computer is setup with two fixed IP addresses. One is on m;y home network subnet and the other is a different subnet dedicated to the cameras. The cameras and NVR are connected to the switch along with a connection to my home network router. Blue Iris is running as a service with most settings at their defaults with each of teh 4MP cameras being decoded and re-encoded which is not optimal (CPU @ 100%). I can operate the NVR from my main computer via Remote Desktop which works well.

I plan on adding an additional Ethernet card to the NVR to connect directly to my home network rather than through the POE router. I'm not sure how much bandwidth Remote Desktop uses but separating it from the camera video streams seems like a good idea.

I look forward to participating here to learn how to get my system optimized and usable. I am now off to read the "Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs" sticky thread, which I just noticed.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If blue iris is at 100% and you have only six cameras there is a lot of configuration that can be done to get the value down to under 20% on a more modern Intel CPU.
When posting, provide details, detail, detail..... you must provide the manufacture and model numbers. For blue iris, provide the computer configuration, CPU, memory, disk drive arrangement, version of windows, version of BI..... If you have a network question, post a diagram of your current network with IP addresses, manufacture, model number.

Last edited:

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
If blue iris is at 100% and you have only six cameras there is a lot of configuration that can be done to get the value down to under 20% on a more modern Intel CPU.
When posting, provide details, detail, detail..... you must provide the manufacture and model numbers. For blue iris, provide the computer configuration, CPU, memory, disk drive arrangement, version of windows, version of BI..... If you have a network question, post a diagram of your current network with IP addresses, manufacture, model number.
Most of my pertinent part numbers are in my signature and I am running Win10 Pro fully up to date. NVR computer is a Dell OptiPlex 5050 with 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD (OS), and a Seagate 14TB SkyHawk AI (storage). The NVR has no monitor/keyboard and is controlled using Remote Desktop. The Cisco SG350-MP10 POE managed switch is operating as a standard switch with default configuration.

As this is my new member introduction, I didn't plan on this being a troubleshooting or optimization thread. My intention is to read, search, read some more, experiment, create a system diagram, and then start asking questions.

Reaction score
This graphic shows how to set up the network to isolate cams from the home LAN and internet, yet you can access them from a PC on your home LAN. This also allows your BI PC access to your home LAN and the internet. Having the BI PC able to access the internet is helpful to get BI software updates and to access a Network Time Server.

Network Topology 4.JPG

drmdolfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of my pertinent part numbers are in my signature and I am running Win10 Pro fully up to date. NVR computer is a Dell OptiPlex 5050 with 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD (OS), and a Seagate 14TB SkyHawk AI (storage). The NVR has no monitor/keyboard and is controlled using Remote Desktop. The Cisco SG350-MP10 POE managed switch is operating as a standard switch with default configuration.

As this is my new member introduction, I didn't plan on this being a troubleshooting or optimization thread. My intention is to read, search, read some more, experiment, create a system diagram, and then start asking questions.

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
I made a few upgrades recently. I added a second Gigabit Ethernet card to physically isolate my camera LAN from my home LAN. But the more significant improvement, in my opinion, was the addition of a 512GB SSD dedicated to the "New" folder for capturing the incoming video streams. The main reasons for this is to prolong the life of the 14TB storage drive and to reduce the noise the system makes!

With six 4MP cameras being stored continuously at 30 FPS, the hard drive was really thrashing non-stop. With the addition of the SSD, the hard drive is only active each time a file is moved from "New" to "Storage". This is much less stressful to the hard drive.

The elephant in the room is the finite number of writes before the SDD fails. The Samsung 512GB 860 Pro has a guaranteed 600TB write capacity. I currently store about 400GB total per day, so the SSD should last me at least 1500 days or 4 years. With that being the guaranteed write capacity, design margin would suggest it will last even longer. Once I was comfortable with these numbers, I pulled the trigger.

So far, it is working quietly, as expected.

A note on the SSD write capacity: Each SSD version and size has a different guaranteed write capacity. You would think that a 1TB SSD would have twice the write capacity of a 512GB SSD, but this is not what I found. Be sure to review the manufactures data sheets when selecting an SSD for this application.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind moving files is an unnecessary resource hog on the CPU and serves no real benefit for BI. And as you pointed out does shorten the life of the SSD.

Most of us do not move between a new and stored. If the HDD is surveillance capable, then it is best to just let it go there.

As long as you are comfortable with that...just wanted to point out most of us do not do that.

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind moving files is an unnecessary resource hog on the CPU and serves no real benefit for BI. And as you pointed out does shorten the life of the SSD.

Most of us do not move between a new and stored. If the HDD is surveillance capable, then it is best to just let it go there.

As long as you are comfortable with that...just wanted to point out most of us do not do that.
I monitored the NVR CPU usage and it jumps by about 5% (of total CPU capacity) for about 30 seconds during the 4GB fie move when the "New" folder exceeds its maximum size every 15 minutes or so.

This NVR computer has no monitor, keyboard, etc. as it is located on a shelf in our bedroom closet. I control it from another computer (Host) using Remote Desktop.

The NVR CPU usage runs as follows:

Service running, app closed = 10% CPU
App running but minimized to the NVR task bar = 20% CPU
App running, full screen, six camera live views on NVR but Remote Desktop on Host minimized = 30% CPU (This is the default condition)
App running, full screen, six camera live views, full screen on Remote Desktop Host = 60% CPU
App running, full screen, six camera live views on NVR, Remote Desktop disconnected while full screen on Host = 60% CPU (This was a surprise to me)
App running, full screen, six camera live views on NVR, Remote Desktop disconnected while minimized on Host = 30% CPU

Normally, Remote Desktop is connected to the NVR, but is minimized to the Host taskbar, so the NVR is at 30% CPU. The 5% additional CPU during file moves won't be a problem. Besides, I really appreciate the silence.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If running headless
Use an hdmi dummy plug like

One windows 10
Power setting Sleep: never
Power Display screen: never

if your CPU is an I5-7600, it is running at a very high CPU.
please reread Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
If running headless
Use an hdmi dummy plug like

One windows 10
Power setting Sleep: never
Power Display screen: never

if your CPU is an I5-7600, it is running at a very high CPU.
please reread Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
So, I installed the HDMI dummy plug and reviewed the CPU Optimization information. The HDMI plug made no difference. I already had the Acceleration set to Intel +VPP, so there was nothing to change after plugging it in. I intend to keep all six cameras at 30 FPS for my own reasons, but I did achieve a noted drop in CPU usage by reducing my preview rate from 30 FPS to 15 FPS. My new numbers are:

Service running, app closed = 10% CPU and CPU clock averaging about 2.7 GHz
Service running, app closed, moving file = 20% CPU and CPU clock averaging about 3.8 GHz
App running but minimized to the NVR task bar = 17% CPU and CPU clock averaging about 3.0 GHz
App running, full screen, six camera live views on NVR but Remote Desktop on Host minimized = 20% CPU (I can't determine clock speed from performance graph)
App running, full screen, six camera live views, full screen on Remote Desktop Host = 45% CPU and CPU clock averaging about 3.6 GHz
App running, full screen, six camera live views on NVR, Remote Desktop disconnected while full screen on Host = 50% CPU
App running, full screen, six camera live views on NVR, Remote Desktop disconnected while minimized on Host = 20% CPU

I am very happy with this. Thanks for all your suggestions.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The 14 TB thrashing, was probably from writing data to New, while simultaneously trying to move data to Stored, all while somebody is trying to review video.
Have you selected the " Direct to Disk" option for the Camera's? Also, I was certain that I "had" to keep 30 FPS on my new cams to "catch those assholes."
The more I leanred to pick better hardware, and see how others were setting things up, I experimented with 15 FPS on some cams, and now I'm runing most at 8FPS, except the LPR cam, thats working at 12FPS....
I found out most of these guys recommend againt using "Stored" but will put other stuff on the SSD like the Database folder, and the Alerts Folder.

knavekid

n3wb
Reaction score
I do have direct to disk for the h.265 camera outputs and also have the lower resolution substream outputs for preview. Moving files from the new to stored folder on the HDD is a simple file pointer change which occurred about once every 15 minutes, so was not detrimental. However, writing six different data streams to six separate files simultaneously had the heads bouncing from file to file indefinitely. I am the only one who reviews video and then only occasionally, so the user interface was inactive when I observed the continuous HDD noise.

With my new configuration, the file move from the SSD to the HDD takes about 30 seconds, but this data is written to a contiguous file with minimal required head movement. At least until the HDD becomes very fragmented.

My database is stored on the C: OS SSD, and the alert folder is on the HDD. However, I don't have any alerts configured at this time so can't comment on any potential issues.

I am very happy with the results of this upgrade. It will be interesting to see how long this SSD lasts before reaching its failure point. I would be happy to get the calculated minimum of 4 years.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 15 cams on an HP i5-8500 I have db on SSD and Alerts on SSD. Adding a 2nd HDD ( spinning 5TB) seemed to drop my cpu usage a few percentage points. I have about 5 cams writing to that, and 10 cams writing to a WD Purp 8TB. I can save data about 17-19 days. But my usage scenario is a 74 unit Condo with 100 residents, and theres always motion somewhere 24/7.....

Reaction score
I have 15 cams on an HP i5-8500 I have db on SSD and Alerts on SSD. Adding a 2nd HDD ( spinning 5TB) seemed to drop my cpu usage a few percentage points. I have about 5 cams writing to that, and 10 cams writing to a WD Purp 8TB. I can save data about 17-19 days. But my usage scenario is a 74 unit Condo with 100 residents, and theres always motion somewhere 24/7.....
You must only be recording when there is motion or a trigger?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On a recent test I did , while looking at a performance problem for another member. I relearned that folder (directories) with a large number of files effect performance.
For performance do not put more than about 10,000 files in a folder, the search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help). If you have only a few 1000 files, or a lot of free memory this may not affect your performance.

TEST DO NOT GUESS.

Reaction score
Continuous recording, with motion all channels , all the time.
OK.... fantastic! I am re-organizing my system a bit right now.... long overdue. I just reformatted my main storage drive, and I am going through and setting all my cams to 15fps (may reduce later). I just noticed this setting in BI and don't remember it being there...

1624476271215.png

Is it literally recording BOTH streams? Trying to optimize-- do I need that checked??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It makes sense to record both and with the new feature to record substream until triggered and then mainstream, it is worthwhile to do.