New System Design Layout Help Please

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently rewiring my mum's house and am installing outside cctv & hard wired internet to all rooms.

For the internet, as the house is large, I've run cat6 from each room back to the utility room where I plan using a switch to connect them all in.
From the switch, I'll run a cable downstairs to the incoming router hub.

For the cctv, I'm running a second cat6 from the main incoming router hub to the upstairs utility room where this will feed a POE Switch.

Off that POE Switch, I have run cat6 to x7 camera locations.

I would really appreciate if someone could confirm the wiring layout is ok please?

I'm suspecting I can do all this with one switch and one cat6 from the main router/hub up to the upstairs utility zone but i wasn't sure and besides a second feed upstairs could not hurt for future use if that was the case or it was safer not linked.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How are you terminating the cat6 outside? What is the exterior. You think anyone would really use hard wired internet? Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently rewiring my mum's house and am installing outside cctv & hard wired internet to all rooms.

For the internet, as the house is large, I've run cat6 from each room back to the utility room where I plan using a switch to connect them all in.
From the switch, I'll run a cable downstairs to the incoming router hub.

For the cctv, I'm running a second cat6 from the main incoming router hub to the upstairs utility room where this will feed a POE Switch.

Off that POE Switch, I have run cat6 to x7 camera locations.

I would really appreciate if someone could confirm the wiring layout is ok please?

I'm suspecting I can do all this with one switch and one cat6 from the main router/hub up to the upstairs utility zone but i wasn't sure and besides a second feed upstairs could not hurt for future use if that was the case or it was safer not linked.

Don't run the cam traffic through the router, connect it to the other switch.
Use switches that are gigabyte capable, or at least have gigibyte uplink ports.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you terminating the cat6 outside? What is the exterior. You think anyone would really use hard wired internet? Thanks
Thanks for replying jas,
I haven't picked the cameras yet but presumed I'd use rj45 Ethernet style connections.

No, Wi-Fi is the most likely. I hardwired my house too and it's barely used but it does help locate routers for weak spots.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice one Looney, so I can carry on as I was with 2 switches as the initial setup.

That makes me wonder though, even with the two switch Setup, they still both go back to the incoming supply router, so don't they link up anyhow

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BTW, would you be able to recommend switches for cams & net please?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one Looney, so I can carry on as I was with 2 switches as the initial setup.

That makes me wonder though, even with the two switch Setup, they still both go back to the incoming supply router, so don't they link up anyhow

Yes, but you arn't running all that camera traffic through the router. Some routers can't handle it.

BTW, would you be able to recommend switches for cams & net please?

Read the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the screen.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I've read that full wiki document, that has been very informative thanks to all who contributed to it.

I read the document which said no one NVR or manufacturer can cover all bases.

Does that mean something like Blue Iris could accept all camera models or would that then be using ONVIF and so reducing some cameras full functionality?

It's left me wondering about the possibility of using NAS storage or NVR "off site". Would that be possible or would that still mean having an on-site facility making for a more expensive job?

The reason being that I wonder about adding another site being my shop which currently doesn't have cctv either to the same off site storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I've read that full wiki document, that has been very informative thanks to all who contributed to it.

I read the document which said no one NVR or manufacturer can cover all bases.

Does that mean something like Blue Iris could accept all camera models or would that then be using ONVIF and so reducing some cameras full functionality?

It's left me wondering about the possibility of using NAS storage or NVR "off site". Would that be possible or would that still mean having an on-site facility making for a more expensive job?

The reason being that I wonder about adding another site being my shop which currently doesn't have cctv either to the same off site storage.

Blue Iris has all the functionality of the camera and then some...you are not losing anything...

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris has all the functionality of the camera and then some...you are not losing anything...
Thanks fenderman, so for instance does that mean it would be better to have Dahua cameras running on BI as opposed to a Dahua NVR?

Does BI work with all camera makes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, so for instance does that mean it would be better to have Dahua cameras running on BI as opposed to a Dahua NVR?

Does BI work with all camera makes?

Yes...

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi again,

Would somebody mind clarifying my first fix wiring please as I'd like to relocate the dvr to a more user friendly room.

Setup is:-

Room1 downstairs - Houses incoming internet

Room 2 upstairs - This is a wiring hub for all cctv cat 6 to return and also the first floor hard wired cat 6 cables for internet.

Room 2 - Receives 2 cat 6 cables from Room 1 which will feed 2 switches, one switch to feed cctv & one to feed internet switch.
(I read separate switches is best)

Now I'm stuck, I'd like to house the dvr in a different room.
Upstairs all rooms are easy I think as they all run off that which is next to the cctv switch so I can manage any room upstairs with ease I think?

But I'm not sure of upstairs being the best location yet.

I'm confused if I need a 3rd cat 6 Back to room 1 downstairs or if I could simply use the cat 6 linking Room 1 & the cctv switch in room 2 some how?

If so, how as at Room 1 end, it must be plugged into the router/hub to receive internet.

My head hurts with it.

I attached a piccie to show why I haven't managed to decide on rooms yet:)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi again,

Would somebody mind clarifying my first fix wiring please as I'd like to relocate the dvr to a more user friendly room.

Hi Rhodesy,

Looks like a great project.

Since you are doing all of this work, I would recommend:

1) Considering using conduit where appropriate.
For example, now that the roof is exposed would be very easy to add any conduit runs there if you would want to do so.

2) Plan to pull N+1+ cables to each location. Cables are affordable compared to your time.

3) I like to end all my cables runs to one location where I will have the router, NVR / PC, NAS, switches, ...

4) I like to use a proper patch panel and some sort of rack / cabinet setup, even if home made.

This youtube video I found interesting to watch w/re to smart home cabling:

See #56 and #59 in my notes
Looking for some advice and direction!

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Mat,

Thanks for your reply. I font understand N+1+ cables, did a quick Google and didn't come up with anything either.

I have already run all cabling upstairs but ceilings aren't yet in so conduit isn't going to be possible but before ceilings go up.

Yes I'm trying to run everything back to one room and I managed all the cctv and the upstairs cat6 for internet back to Room 2.

I have 2 rack mountable switches for a proper job upstairs but may attach them to a board to save space.

Downstairs is on the incoming hub/switch that feeds the 2 runs to room 2 upstairs.

This is because it is a pretty large house and cable runs would have been a menace.

I'll look at your video later, just need to go n do some work mate but meanwhile, would you know if I can utilise the cable running from internet supply feed in room 1 to cctv switch in room 2 (downstairs to upstairs) to then relocate my BI PC at Room 1?

Thanks again, I appreciate your time:)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat,

Thanks for your reply. I font understand N+1+ cables, did a quick Google and didn't come up with anything either.
Hi Rhodesy,

It's a math thing. N = Number. In this case the number of cables you plan to run.

N+1 = run one extra cable from what you plan
N+1+ = run at least one or more extra cables

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know, does a Dell Optiplex SFF have space for a second HDD?

I searched Google and found it only has one allocated 3.5" slot and am concerned one 8tb HDD won't be enough.

I was going to use the optical drive for an SSD.

**EDITED**

Never mind, I found a youtube video and apparently I cannot unless mounting externally which isn't ideal.
I'll have to cope with *tb and a SSD in the optical drive.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know, does a Dell Optiplex SFF have space for a second HDD?
Never mind, I found a youtube video and apparently I cannot unless mounting externally which isn't ideal.
I'll have to cope with *tb and a SSD in the optical drive.
FYI - this is why the SFF size is not preferred by members for Blue Iris here.