New Setup (multiple locations)

brozium

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry if this is not the correct subforum to post this. And sorry for the long post, I'm new to this and I want to do it right.
I'm looking to upgrade an existing camera system for a relatively small business (it's a bar) with 2 locations. I've done my homework and I figured an Intel NUC with an i3-6100 (with QuickSync) would be enough for the server (120gb ssd) and an extra NAS for storage (Synology 2bay nas with WD Purple drives).
One of the locations has 4 existing low quality cameras that I would like to replace with new (DS-2CD2042WD-I) cameras 720p@20-25fps which I calculated would use around 15mbps bandwitdh (when streaming?) and around 1tb of storage for 7 days recording around 16 hours (the place is open from 11am-12pm/1am ish during weekdays and from 11am-3am on weekends) I wanted to use Blue Iris to only record during those times and use motion detection if something was detected during closed hours. I figure this would be enough to run those 4 cameras and even 8 using the existing low quality ones we already have.

The second location has, I think, around 8-10 cameras also low-quality, I would like to add 4 HD ones to the existing setup and maybe removing some of the existing ones. Would the same setup be ok for this (meaning the NUC+NAS)?

Would it be convenient to have 2 NUCs and only 1 NAS in one of the locations for storage, maybe using openVPN, or would it be to harsh on the network? Btw, I will also probably run a relatively simple MySql server on each of the NUCs but I don't think that would be too demanding.

Also, our current ISP doesn't provide with a Public IP unless we pay. I'm trying to change ISPs to one that provides a Public IP and using a DNS service, but if this is not possible what could be the best solution? ATM, we have to use the same ISP if we want to acccess the cameras and sometimes it's kind of an annoyance. Maybe use the VPN to access the NAS and the files directly?

Thanks guys for the help and if there is something I could do to also cut costs it would be appreciated.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what kind of internet uploads do you have avilable? thats going to be your limiting factor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) dont buy 4mp cameras and run them at 720p, buy 1.3mp cameras they will be much better in a low light environment of a bar.
2) nuc+nas is silly when you can buy a business class system haswell/skylake with room for drives for 200-300 dollars. Its always best to store locally on the server. Search the forum for optiplex and elitedesk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that 5Mbps up is not going to be adequate for remote video storage, your going to have to store onsite at each location

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
recording is streaming..

lets do the math, 4 cameras at medium quality, 1MP h264 are going to ned 5.66Mbps.. thats more than you have, and you have to account for overhead... so your 5Mbit uploads will support two 1MP Cameras at low quality and low framerate, thats useless.

brozium

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah I see. So can it be changed on the fly for a particular camera, for example?

And is the rest of my planning correct or am I missing something? My only other option would be an NVR, correct?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have enough bandwidth to record locally and view lower quality or just a couple feeds at a time, but not enough bandwidth to record remotely.