New member looking for some insight

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. I am looking at getting some cameras for my home.
I have uploaded a sketch of what I am looking for. I was hoping I could get some insight on what would be the best cameras to install.

Some facts:
Budget: $2k or less for everything (all accessories, computer to run blue iris on, cameras, etc)

Cameras: probably 6 or 7. They are marked with an X on my house with arrows showing which way they would be looking. in the back left corner I did not include one looking out to the road as we are hoping to plant multiple trees there.

I am hoping to run CAT5 throughout and doing PoE. I don't wan't wireless.

I don't think I would need the cameras to be spectacular for night vision? since there are 3 street lights around the house that give off decent light, as well as the lights on our home. If someone has an opinion on that I would be more than happy to hear it of course.

the X5 camera would be in the garage.

I live in Canada so the weather would be going down to around -35/-40C in the winter for some periods of the time.

A question I have:

I would want to lock down the cameras so they aren't trying to reach the outside world. Now I know I would be creating a VLAN for this. However, if this is the case does that mean that I wouldn't be able to remotely access the cameras to see what's happening at my place or is there away around that?

If there is anything else anyone can think of please let me know.

Thanks for everyones inputs and suggestions.

Take Care

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread on the importance of focal length to cover the area you want to IDENTIFY and get the right camera for the job. The proper MP/sensor combo and focal length are two important factors.

These sensors are tiny and you will want the right MP/sensor combo or the camera will be blind at night.

These cameras run hot, so the cold will not be an issue. Many people here are from colder climates.

Get a second ethernet card for your BI computer and that is how you keep the cameras off the internet. For roughly $20 you add the 2nd NIC and run all the cameras to that NIC and then the internet goes to the other NIC. Or you can pay more for a managed switch to VLAN, but the dual NIC system is by far the easiest and cheapest.

Then you use a free VPN like OpenVPN to review cameras remotely. Do not use a paid VPN as that is meant to hide your IP and will be useless.

Consider reaching out to @EMPIRETECANDY a trusted vendor here to get your cameras. He has an Amazon presence as well.

Reaction score
I would want to lock down the cameras so they aren't trying to reach the outside world. Now I know I would be creating a VLAN for this. However, if this is the case does that mean that I wouldn't be able to remotely access the cameras to see what's happening at my place or is there away around that?
Since you stated that you would be using BI, there is no reason to be able to access the cams directly from the internet. Use a VLAN or as @wittaj stated, use a second NIC in the BI computer to isolate the cams from the rest of your home LAN and the internet. If you want to see what is happening to your house, then you use a VPN to log in to your BI PC and see the cams in BI. Either way, you could still access the cams in a web browser from the internet by opening that browser on the BI computer over the VPN.

It would be hard to give you specifics for each location. I recommend getting one good varifocal cam, like the Dahua T5442T-ZE and mount it on a test rig as described in the WIKI. Move that around to your locations to get an idea of what a cam will show in each location. Since it is a varifocal, you may be able to use that cam to pick a fixed focal cam and save some money. You should be able to see what a 2.8, 3.6, or a 6mm fixed lens cam will show. This will also give you some experience with cams and help you understand what they can and cannot do. No need to buy everything at one time. Allow your growing experience to help you adjust your plan as needed.

Here is what I use as a test rig.
Test Rig.JPG

Graate

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! I'm from Chicago and I am also looking for cameras for the home at an affordable price.

Grate, worktime more

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who commented! I will take a look and see what I find out! Appreciate the links to the threads.