New BI computer

tspevacek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I the process of throwing together a new BI computer, Current machine is a i7 6700K it was built using the oldest machine in the house, now that I have proven it works fine I am going to upgrade that machine to future proof it a bit more. It is running 32GB of DDR 4 3200 has 24 TB of WD purple drive and has a EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 in it, I will move the ram and Graphics over to the new machine. The real question is all I see recommended intel processors. With eh performance of the newer Ryzen chips does it seem doable to use a Ryzen 5 or 7 to set up the new machine? Are there features that I missing on the AMDs versus the Intel's? the Storage will be 4 6TB WD purples BI and windows will be run off a NVME drive as it is currently done.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using EVERY optimization as shown in the wiki?

A member here is running 50 cameras with an i7 4790 and was at 100% CPU and was looking for recommendations for a new machine. After strong persuasion by many of us, he reluctantly agreeing to do every optimization and is now at 30% CPU.

Maybe you just wanna spend some stimulus money on a new computer LOL, but I suspect what you have is more than capable.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You could probably get $400 to $450 easy for your GTX 1070 on ebay. Just saying. GPU prices are insane right now and Blue Iris doesn't need it.

If you're itching to build a new PC, the Ryzen 3xxx and 5xxx CPUs would do nicely, but if you aren't looking to go beyond 8 cores then I'd still go with Intel since you can get a model with integrated graphics and Quick Sync support at a fairly competitive price. Hardware acceleration can be very helpful if you want to run 4K above about 15 FPS. I recently had to turn off quick sync on my main BI PC because of stability issues, and with Quick Sync off, my 4K@30 FPS camera playback is not smooth. (I still run quick sync hardware acceleration on other BI machines -- it is just my main machine that is having stability problems with it)

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
You could probably get $400 to $450 easy for your GTX 1070 on ebay. Just saying. GPU prices are insane right now and Blue Iris doesn't need it.

If you're itching to build a new PC, the Ryzen 3xxx and 5xxx CPUs would do nicely, but if you aren't looking to go beyond 8 cores then I'd still go with Intel since you can get a model with integrated graphics and Quick Sync support at a fairly competitive price. Hardware acceleration can be very helpful if you want to run 4K above about 15 FPS. I recently had to turn off quick sync on my main BI PC because of stability issues, and with Quick Sync off, my 4K@30 FPS camera playback is not smooth. (I still run quick sync hardware acceleration on other BI machines -- it is just my main machine that is having stability problems with it)
Pleasantly surprised to see an AMD flavored suggestion. Based on reading this forum and the BI forums (so far), AMD is seldom mentioned. Is there relevant disadvantages of using AMD v. Intel? Or is it just Intel is more recognized, and folks simply use the Intel flavored descriptions due to the popularity?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't know why you want to upgrade other than to spend some cash. The i7-6700 chip is a great chip to use for BI. I honestly can't image a reason to need to upgrade from that.

Running a CCTV NVR isn't like running a gaming PC. There is very little processing requirements needed if you are writing all the data directly to disk. Sure, you need some for motion detection, AI integration, etc, but it is much lower than you think, especially now that BI is using sub streams for a lot of this processing. (Higher resolution images don't help with the detection, but certainly use up more processing power).

No one is going to care if you build a new machine. If that is your heart's desire then go for it. But understand that you can drop $$$$ into a new machine just to find out that the old machine works just as well as the new one.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I built a Ryzen PC prior to knowing it would be running Blue Iris, it runs fine with no issues. So far I have only tested with two Dahua/Andy cameras recording 24/7 but it only uses about 7 - 8% of the CPU and less than a GB of RAM. It uses about 10% of CPU with two recording and playing back or reviewing video.

WIN 10 and Ryzen 7 2700 with 16GB of RAM.

tspevacek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did not qualify for the stimlus. The 6700 is the oldest machine in my network. My gaming rig is a 9900K that was built on its release.
I was thinking of doing the upgrade to that machine and kind of wanted to play with a Ryzen 5600 or 5700 procesor. A lot top i recently ordered in for the wife is Amd 4800 and i am pretty impressed with the performance of the machine. Rebuilding my gaming rig is out of the question rigjt now because of the hard line water cooling set up and motherboard layout. it took over 12 hours to shape all the lines and get them perfect do not want to deal with that again.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised to see an AMD flavored suggestion. Based on reading this forum and the BI forums (so far), AMD is seldom mentioned. Is there relevant disadvantages of using AMD v. Intel? Or is it just Intel is more recognized, and folks simply use the Intel flavored descriptions due to the popularity?
There are several reasons AMD is seldom mentioned or recommended.
  • Intel was the undisputed CPU leader for so long that the market for used/refurbished PCs is flooded with Intel at low prices.
  • Most Intel desktop CPUs have integrated graphics with Quick Sync, which gives you the ability to use hardware acceleration in Blue Iris. There is no AMD equivalent currently.
  • Few AMD CPUs have integrated graphics, so most AMD users must also run a discrete GPU.
And since sub stream support was added to Blue Iris one year ago, old Intel quad core desktop CPUs are more capable than ever.