Never imagined it would happen to me ...

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tonight my property was invaded by a gang of five. Two were posted as lookouts at the front door, one near the corner of the property, while two checked the garage door. It appears the fifth was a lookout at the side of my corner lot (not sure).

Got notified of motion on my property. I interrupted whatever they had planned and one of them kept me distracted while the others quickly walked away. Didn't really know what was going on until I reviewed video. Will see how cops wish to proceed when they respond to the non-emergency phone message.

Won't panic but clearly need more deterrence. I think a fence would have helped and possibly more motion activated lighting at the darker recesses of the property where they posted lookouts. Will certainly ask for help with additional security cams when the time comes..

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My house is tiny. It looks tidy and possibly a place to steal tools from the garage or whatever. I'll post video or stills if the cops agree and you will see how elaborately these twerps appear to have planned. The entire thing is too dramatic … like watching Oceans 11 or something; possibly a LARP by some locked down and slightly evil university dimwits.

Was thinking my priority should be deterrence then identification.

Reaction score
Sorry for your issue. An alarm should be your first priority.

Why do the cops have to agree for you to post videos?

Motion activated lights really do not deter. I have seen many vids of perps not changing their behavior when the lights come on. Most recently on the house across the street form me. The perp took 10 minutes to remove the guy's tailgate from his pickup truck while it was parked in the driveway. The motion spots did not slow him down. Probably helped him see better.

The fence is also probably a good idea.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The fence is also probably a good idea.
An old neighbor used to tell me "Fences only keep honest people out". He might be right. Hard to tell.

@newfoundlandplucky - please share video when available. Sorry for your intrusion. In Ottawa? Must be some out of towners.

Last edited:

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well when someone is walking up to my house and they see my big PTZ autotracking them plus they see a good half dozen cameras around them, that may be somewhat of a deterrence? It's one piece of the deterrence plan. Identification can be part of the deterrence plan.

But.... I look for any reason to add cameras.... :)

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Time to make your place look less inviting of a target.
I believe you are exactly right that I need to be less of a target. I could maybe nail the dead corpses of my enemies to the walls of my home? :) JK

Or the priority, in order, is additional fencing for more controlled access to the property, then lighting and motion detection, then a couple more cameras and recording equipment, and finally a trained guard dog.

I'm not certain how alarms fit into this since I already play the role of physical security. Maybe I should do some more push ups? :cool:

Some sort of community organization to spread awareness, share information, and put pressure on police services and local politicians may be useful too.

Why do the cops have to agree for you to post videos?
I'm sorry to say that Ottawa does not have the same freedoms enjoyed in your area.

@newfoundlandplucky - please share video when available. Sorry for your intrusion. In Ottawa? Must be some out of towners.
I really wish that were true. Ottawa is culturally being ripped apart like many other places. People are experimenting with all kinds of things including activism and violence.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You do need some kind of an alarm system since it's impossible to be at home, awake and ready for action 24/7/365. Improving/adding fencing is a two edged sword. People can't see what's behind it, both the miscreants and people looking to see if there are any miscreants behind that fence. Motion lights are not effective and all night flood lighting might not be appreciated by your neighbors, plus it lets those miscreants see better as they go about their "business". Cameras need to be mounted low enough and have the right focal length for each situation. It's a real shame that the video that you record on your own property with your own equipment is not yours to do with as you please, especially in a case like this.

It is unfortunate, but even here I couldn't nail the corpses to a tree or the wall without invoking the ire of the Justice system which seems heavily tilted to the perpetrator rather than being balanced or tilted to the victim.

Last edited:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
They may have scoped you out and saw you have stuff in that garage worth getting. Or it could have been as random as any other event but more organized to increase their odds of not getting caught. But there's no honor among thieves. If the lookouts saw a cop car coming do the ones in the garage think their counterparts would help them escape too? Not a chance lol. Guys in the garage, caught. Lookouts long gone lol. And what's the money split between a team of six for a lawnmower lol. Organized stupidity.

The pop of a motion light may not work these days but constant light remains a deterrent, imo. Roaches don't like light. If having your property lighted reduces your appearance of an easier mark, why not. I'd surely choose a really dark property over a lighted one. Yard warning signs, while seemingly trivial, can be another deterrent. I'd hit a house without one before one with a sign. Same with window stickers. Cameras too. I'd choose a house with none of that over a house with it. Crime is a numbers and percentage game for even a modest thinking crook. A drug addict, all bets are off. They do anything for money for the next fix without reasoning capabilities.

Your story is why we're trying with all this crap here to avoid it. But man, every day is mostly just a lucky one. I always say, may our cameras see only boring crap. Never something like this. Sorry and hoping that never happens again to you or any of us.

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now the best I can do is provide an annotated grainy cropped still frame from a neighbor's house. There is too much identifying information otherwise.

From other videos it appears that one of the group had a cell phone with a very bright display. This person hid behind a car across the street when challenged. All I can think of is that they were recording or attempting to record to cause trouble. It has sinister implications. There is a provision for use of "reasonable force" against trespassing which of course has no real definition. Without the protection of the police powers act I could be sued into bankruptcy.

Appreciate all the feedback and brain power being applied here. Thank you.

October14_Trespassing_LARP.jpg

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you were very lucky to escape a very bad scene brewing. Without being obtrusive and certainly don't answer if you don't want to, but is there anything in your tiny house that's so desirable and they knew about it? I'd be thinking about anyone who was in the house prior as a contractor or any otherwise. That kind of setup really looks like a full on invasion about to happen. People can puff their chest out and claim rifles and guns at the ready but it would be unlikely you'd win against that or even get the first shot. Here in NY, even if you're justified and shoot someone in your house you're in for a horrible ride of legal wrangling which may end up with being sued, or worse. I really hope the authorities take this seriously and get this gang. Seriously...

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
This is why I'm a firm believer that concealed carry also exists inside your home. I agree that whatever that is looked like it could have gotten ugly. Having a firearm in the safe or in the next room isn't good enough. In the world we live in, it should be very quickly accessible, along with proper fortification of doors/windows to buy you a few extra seconds to act.

Glad you are ok. Be on high alert. The dirt bags may not be done.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
It really looks like they must have had inside info to get that many people together
for one invasion. Think back over the last year who all has been in and around the place,
and see if there was any hints who and what they were up to.
We had problems with contractors that came out to give an estimate on a job coming back and
taking stuff that was left outside.
I got the last laugh on the pipe they stole, it had holes every 6" for watering plants.:p:D

Reaction score
The problem is not really knowing what was up. That many people is scary to say the least. You do not know if it was just kids up to mischief. Or was this a Home Invasion about to take place? Were they a group of gang members about to get even with someone but had the wrong address?

Here in Texas you are allowed to use deadly force against Criminal Mischief after dark. Not saying I would, but it is in the law. If a home invasion or gang members out for revenge, then all bets are off. You are fighting for your life. Good luck.

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Without being obtrusive and certainly don't answer if you don't want to, but is there anything in your tiny house that's so desirable and they knew about it?
My retirement occupation is urban farming and self-renovating this 1950s house. If you look at the link above you'd think the gingerbread man lives in it. :) My car is 25 years old. That someone would be violent in order to steal something I have is hard to fathom. I understand your thinking but that's not likely unless they simply want to destroy the gingerbread man.

Here in NY, even if you're justified and shoot someone in your house you're in for a horrible ride of legal wrangling which may end up with being sued, or worse. I really hope the authorities take this seriously and get this gang. Seriously...
You have the right to yell then run away. No $$$ damage means the police may not even respond.

I got the last laugh on the pipe they stole, it had holes every 6" for watering plants.:p:D
LOL

Agree with many of the suggestions already mentioned, but are you allowed to be armed in your home up there?
No and guns must be locked in a vault.

The problem is not really knowing what was up. That many people is scary to say the least.
I admire the independent Texas spirit. Please keep it alive and well.

This group may believe they have cause. Don't know what it is. Very likely to have offended someone's politics. Almost guaranteed these days because Ottawa is a government and university town so the intersectional nonsense is palatable. We're being twisted in knots by the media.

Seems this LARP sprung from the minds of young dimwits who watch too much TV. In the end all they accomplished was to trespass on my grass. If they are a real gang then they are pathetic. Not impressed. The cell phone thing makes me think of Antifa in Portland but without the firebug crazies and without the funding.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if your reputation is the "gingerbread man" you may as well paint a target on yourself, your house and your car no matter their ages. That says "easy target" to these, excuse the expression, people.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After my recent tire slashing event, I've put everything else on hold and went balls deep into home security. Adding a post lantern at the end of my 50' driveway (lighting my not deter but does help), a LPR camera down low (just cause always wanted one), a 5442 series camera at the 5' level for facial ID, Bosch outdoor PIR attached to my DSC home security system..all on the same post. Also, revisiting some silly goofy camera locations I've had around the house.