Network setup for multiple camera's on 1 UTP cable

Spacekiek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 3 camera's outside, powered by a POE switch. (2 Hikvision/ 1 Dahua). Then there is 1 UTP cable going from my shed to my house.
Since Internet is required in the shed for my Wifi AP, I cannot connect this cable directly to a POE port of my Hikvision NVR. (also, 3 camera's can't be connected/powered by 1 port I assume)
I could run another cable from my shed to my NVR, but where do I connect this? I've read I need to connect this to my LAN port of the Hikvision NVR, but this is already linked to my networking switch to view the camera's on my mobile app.
Is there a way I can connect these camera's with running 3 extra dedicated networking cables to my NVR ?

I'm afraid these 3 cam's are generating quite a lot of traffic on my network/switch, and I'd like to keep these datastreams seperate.

free photo web hosting

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  1. Is the drawing above of the proposed layout?
  2. Where does the Internet from your ISP come in at?
  3. You stated "Is there a way I can connect these camera's with running 3 extra dedicated networking cables to my NVR ? "; did you mean "Is there a way I can connect these camera's withOUT running 3 extra dedicated networking cables to my NVR?" ?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Besides the questions asked by TonyR I would like to know the exact models of the hardware in question. Than all of us could provide more factual information to you.

If we assume this is a 1GB switch and not a 10/100 switch which should not be used for video security. If the switch has a uplink port that should be used to connect the two switches together.

This also highlights the importance of using certified pure copper 23 AWG Ethernet cable.

If the NVR has POE ports and you can home run new cable directly - sure! Going this route removes two extra pieces of hardware and bottleneck.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way I can connect these camera's with running 3 extra dedicated networking cables to my NVR ?
If this is a Hikvision NVR with PoE ports - the channel configurations can be modified to connect to LAN-connected cameras instead of NVR PoE-port-connected cameras.
Give the cameras a valid LAN IP address, change the channel mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play, and set the channel IP address to match the LAN address of the camera.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Does your switch in the shed support VLANs? I have a very similar situation and run 3 cams and an AP. The cams are on a completely different VLAN with no Internet access and anyone who uses the AP does have Internet access through it.

Spacekiek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

1. Is the drawing above of the proposed layout?
  2. Where does the Internet from your ISP come in at?
  3. You stated "Is there a way I can connect these camera's with running 3 extra dedicated networking cables to my NVR ? "; did you mean "Is there a way I can connect these camera's withOUT running 3 extra dedicated networking cables to my NVR?" ?
1/ No, it's the current layout
2/ ISP comes in my house, and is connected to my big main switch
3/ Yes, withOUT running extra 3 cables ... 1 I can manage, but 3 is a bit to much and maybe unnecessary.

Besides the questions asked by TonyR I would like to know the exact models of the hardware in question. Than all of us could provide more factual information to you.
Hardware involved:

NVR: HIKVISION DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P
CAM 1: HIKVISION DS-2CD2542FWD-IS
CAM 2: HIKVISION DS-2CD2685FWD-IZS
CAM 3: DAHUA DH-SD49225T-HN

If this is a Hikvision NVR with PoE ports - the channel configurations can be modified to connect to LAN-connected cameras instead of NVR PoE-port-connected cameras.
Give the cameras a valid LAN IP address, change the channel mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play, and set the channel IP address to match the LAN address of the camera.
Really ? So I can disable a POE port and connect 3 cam's directly to this port ? That would be it !! :-D

Does your switch in the shed support VLANs? I have a very similar situation and run 3 cams and an AP. The cams are on a completely different VLAN with no Internet access and anyone who uses the AP does have Internet access through it.
All switches are unmanaged 1Gbit switches, so no VLANS. But when I can attach them directly to my NVR, VLANS are unnecessary.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Really ? So I can disable a POE port and connect 3 cam's directly to this port ? That would be it !! :-D
Not quite - the cameras would be on the LAN, connected to your camera PoE switch, which I assume is connected to your main LAN.
Nothing would be connected to the NVR PoE port that has been re-assigned to a LAN IP address.