Need help with error message

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am reconstructing my entire BI setup after a HDD crash and it is mostly back to normal, but I am seeing some sort of disk error... this appears on the mobile app and the admin console. Basically I have BI set up to record my cams continuously to the 6 TB drive E: drive, on the same PC running the BI admin and web server, where I have placed a BlueIrisRecordings folder with New and Stored sub-folders. The New folder is set to max 1TB and I have it set to transfer the clips to stored after 24 hours. Here is a screen shot from the app showing the error in red. Any idea why I am getting this?

BI_Error.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lets look at the space allocated on the BI 5 machine.
Some time the three barns indicates an alert.

A screen shot of the current clip storage. on the blue iris screen.

status.jpg
StatusBar.jpg
A screen shot of the current messages.

General storage notes.
1) do not use time to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the size to zero, set the new folder to delete. All it does is was CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) never allocate over 95% of the total disk drive to BI.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is BI 4 still, not 5 but that shouldn't make much difference. In my old setup I had the folders set up this way and it worked without error, but I appreciate your thoughts on avoiding rewriting them just to sway folders.... although I am not sure Windows rewrites them or just re-indexes them to the other folder?? I do need to check how much of the E: drive I have given to BI. But this drive is dedicated to BI so why can't I give it all?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If New and Stored are on the same drive and machine then there is no point moving stuff from New to Stored. Set Stored to 0 and set New to all but around 10% of the space, then set New to no age limit and let BI tidy up as it needs.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
post the clip storage screen shot. it is in BI4
Screen shots bi4
Status (three bar button) clip storage

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds good. I always used the Stored folder just to make it a little easier to look through the files. I have made those changes but still get this error message albeit with different numbers... All recordings set to New on the E: drive with no expiry... and I have given 5.3T out of the 6T to BI clips and archiving. I also went and deleted ALL the recordings so now all I have are the 5 files from the live recording streams. But the error still says "68 files" and something about 10.07T?? And !!-4.3T?? WTF is this?

Here is the new screenshot. The error reads the same in the BI app log.

BI_Error2.jpg

If New and Stored are on the same drive and machine then there is no point moving stuff from New to Stored. Set Stored to 0 and set New to all but around 10% of the space, then set New to no age limit and let BI tidy up as it needs.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, that's not the pic you wanted. It's coming.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, that's not the pic you wanted. It's coming.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I see the over allocation issue but I don't see a separate setting for "Stored" folder, just the one setting for the overall drive as shown above... unless I don't know where to look for that.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That was it.... D'oooohhh. I had originally set "Stored" to 5TB and "New" to 1 TB so when I upped New it was over allocated. Sheesh. Thanks for the patience in working through this. I don't mess with my BI very much, it usually just hums right along. That HDD issue turned out to be a real PITA. I am going to make sure to save my configuration.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That was it.... D'oooohhh. I had originally set "Stored" to 5TB and "New" to 1 TB so when I upped New it was over allocated. Sheesh. Thanks for the patience in working through this. I don't mess with my BI very much, it usually just hums right along. That HDD issue turned out to be a real PITA. I am going to make sure to save my configuration.
Install this: Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)