need help getting BI to "discover" DVR cameras

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an old DVR from Lorex (Lorex Edge model LH324) and I can't get BI to "see" any of the 4 cameras. I have 2 other Lorex DVRs that I've been successful with, but not having success with this old girl.

I have set a static IP for the HTTP port in the DVR, and have port forwarded this port # in the router.
In BI I've tried:
1) the "find/inspect" with a blank address, it reports "RTSP port detected!" but can't get a video feed ("no signal").
2) all of the Lorex models under the option drop-downs
3) loaded ONVIF, but it doesn't find anything under the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address of the DVR

Can anyone suggest another approach? Is it possible that this DVR is too old to get a feed from?

Thanks

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have set a static IP for the HTTP port in the DVR, and have port forwarded this port # in the router.
Port forwarding of the HTTP not needed to use with BI and is not recommended anyway.
You need to put the DVR's LAN IP into BI for BI to successfully perform "Find/Inspect".
Also, you need a "Cam #" selection in the drop-down (#1 = cam plugged into #1 channel BNC of DVR, #2 is channel 2 BNC, etc.)

If still no joy, try the URL below in VLC as "Media" => "open network stream" and report back (sub your DVR's username, password and IP):

Code:
http://DVR-username:DVR-password@DVR-IP/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=1

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks TonyR. I've removed the port forwarding reference. Still no joy. I tried the "Find/Inspect" using "generic" and also a couple of Lorex models. I've attached one that looked like it detected an RTSP port. It continues to show "No Signal".

The VLC result also fails. See below. Any other ideas? Please keep them coming! I appreciate it. (Note that I can reach the stream through another PC on the LAN that uses HTML code that resides on the DVR. so it seems that the router direction is ok).

Blue Iris setup 1.jpgBlue Iris setup 2.jpgBlue Iris setup 3.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if you go to a browser can you see the login page of the DVR at it's IP address? What is it's IP address? If there is no response at it's address. It might be like my Hik-Nightowls.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 Nightowl ( Hikvision) analog DVR's that several people have tried to guide me thru bringing them into BI from what worked for thier Nightowl DVR's, No Joy. using the Nightowl App, for Windows is the only way i can see the 16 channel at work in the same PC as my BI setup.
people quit trying after awhile. had better results with the Amcrest DVR, and an Amcrest IP Nvr.....very easy to get streaming into BI. \
I will be replacing the Nightowls, and then I will have a Firepit ceremony of death to kill them forever.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
thanks TonyR. I've removed the port forwarding reference. Still no joy. I tried the "Find/Inspect" using "generic" and also a couple of Lorex models. I've attached one that looked like it detected an RTSP port. It continues to show "No Signal".

The VLC result also fails. See below. Any other ideas? Please keep them coming! I appreciate it. (Note that I can reach the stream through another PC on the LAN that uses HTML code that resides on the DVR. so it seems that the router direction is ok).

View attachment 103883View attachment 103884View attachment 103885
Grrrrrr........been here before.......Crush it with a Sledgehammer!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 103883View attachment 103884View attachment 103885
OK, try the following with VLC (BTW, no need to redact local private IP's; we all have them...my BI server is 192.168.1.239:81):
Code:
rtsp:/DVR-username:DVR-password@DVR-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
NOTE: use TWO "/" after "rstp:"

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 2 Nightowl ( Hikvision) analog DVR's that several people have tried to guide me thru bringing them into BI from what worked for thier Nightowl DVR's, No Joy. using the Nightowl App, for Windows is the only way i can see the 16 channel at work in the same PC as my BI setup.
people quit trying after awhile. had better results with the Amcrest DVR, and an Amcrest IP Nvr.....very easy to get streaming into BI. \
I will be replacing the Nightowls, and then I will have a Firepit ceremony of death to kill them forever.
That's what I was afraid of. I have 2 other Lorex DVR's that work fine. This one I bought used with some cameras. It's an older model, so it may not have what is needed to interface with. I'm not ready for the sledgehammer yet though! - but thanks for the warning!

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, try the following with VLC (BTW, no need to redact local private IP's; we all have them...my BI server is 192.168.1.239:81):
Code:
rtsp:/DVR-username:DVR-password@DVR-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
NOTE: use TWO "/" after "rstp:"
Thanks again Tony, but VLC is still not able to open it. I've also tried the "scan" facility in IPCamViewer which I use, and it can't find anything either.

I'm going to continue to dig around to find a solution, so please suggest other options if you have some ideas. They're appreciated.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The DVR only has an HTTP port defined. There is no mention of other ports such as media/RTSP or discovery ports.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again Tony, but VLC is still not able to open it. I've also tried the "scan" facility in IPCamViewer which I use, and it can't find anything either.

I'm going to continue to dig around to find a solution, so please suggest other options if you have some ideas. They're appreciated.
Yep, might not be able to view it.
But...do you have a way to scan for ports on it?
I use Fing on my iPhone.
I get on to the same LAN as the device, using the Wi-Fi from that LAN.
Do a scan, find the device, then scan for ports.
It will reveal 80, 443, 554, 9000, etc.

I've streamed 10 year old NiteOwls and Zmodo DVR's to BI, iPhone cameras and YouTube to BI, hard to believe there's no sweet spot for the old Lorex (likely Dahua OEM'd).

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fing shows only one port open, #23 Teleco. I tried including :23 in the IP address in both of your above suggestions. VNC seems to spin on both of them. I’m curious why Fing doesn’t show the HTTP port as open?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's the Telnet port so that's a no-go.
That is strange regarding the HTTP port which is generally 80 by default.
Can you log into the DVR's webGI and perform a reset, hopefully to defaults?

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will try the reset. I am out of town for a couple of days so won't have access to the unit. I will try when I return. Thanks again for your patience.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Due to the massive time f!2K I spent on this, I will not buy another Hikvision product intended for Blue Iris. It may be an over reaction. But F it.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Due to the massive time f!2K I spent on this, I will not buy another Hikvision product intended for Blue Iris. It may be an over reaction. But F it.
That's a drag, but I guess if it burned you then you have to stay away from it going forward. In my case, I have 2 Lorex DVRs that work well. This new one I am trying to integrate is an old machine. I won't be surprised if it can't be integrated, and I'll be disappointed since I had a plan for it, but it won't turn me off Lorex. My other 2 have worked well for me. I will make a note though, about Hikvision!

Last edited:

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's the Telnet port so that's a no-go.
That is strange regarding the HTTP port which is generally 80 by default.
Can you log into the DVR's webGI and perform a reset, hopefully to defaults?
I tried the reset, it shows the HTTP port as 80. Still nothing found. When I do the discovery, it says "RTSP port detected" but when I "OK" back to the live screen in BI it continues to show "Not Found".