Need advice on replacement of failing Cameras.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, so the scoop is that I need to replace most of my failed or failing cameras. ( I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO)

I have purchased the below Sunba PTZ, which turned out to be the best Camera I have ever owned. too bad they don't sell fixed-mount cameras.
( SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP ) SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP

I have 10 Dahua cameras
4 of these went bad and leaked in water/condensation and they are under an overhang, go figure. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

two of these are now going bad. IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

and I had one of these go bad. a IPC-T3241T-ZAS 2MP

So I need to replace them all.

other than Dahua low light cameras, which camera manufacturers with Varifocal lenses are good quality

I would appreciate any information so that I can check out my option.

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
A poorly protected connection to pigtail can promote corrosion and the entrance into cam @ pigtail can allow moisture into the cam itself due to thermal differential /cycling.

Thermal cycling : the device heats up during day, air inside expands, cools off at night and contracts, drawing in damp outside air, condenses, travels to low point, is trapped and won't escape during warm up cycle, just continues to collect inside.

I suggest protecting the connectors and the pigtail as here.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
+1^^.
A poorly protected connection to pigtail can promote corrosion and the entrance into cam @ pigtail can allow moisture into the cam itself due to thermal differential /cycling.

Thermal cycling : the device heats up during day, air inside expands, cools off at night and contracts, drawing in damp outside air, condenses, travels to low point, is trapped and won't escape during warm up cycle, just continues to collect inside.

all my connections are protected. some inside a box and some wrapped. non are open to the elements.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you are aware, there are not many actual camera manufacturers out there.

Hikvision and Dahua make cameras for a lot of companies.

Hikvision provides the internals to many Sunba models, so maybe try them next?

Axis would be one to try, but you will pay a premium.

Many of the no-names like JideTech and a few others are all rebranded something.

But you are in Florida so it will be tough on cameras, especially if you didn't use dielectric grease.

Keep in mind your Sunba is only 9 months old...

I bought my Dahua Z12E and Sunba within a week of each other in 2019. The Z12E is still going strong. The Sunba not so much...

1672009991697.png 1672010026121.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Did your cameras get exposed to hurricane force winds? or Tropical storm force winds?
That last storm definitely exceeded the IP-67 rating of that some of the Camera manufacturers use.
Im sure the UV rays beat up the rubber and then the sideways rain gets driven into the cams.
Are you close to the Ocean?

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, so the scoop is that I need to replace most of my failed or failing cameras. ( I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO)

I have purchased the below Sunba PTZ, which turned out to be the best Camera I have ever owned. too bad they don't sell fixed-mount cameras.
( SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP ) SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP

I have 10 Dahua cameras
4 of these went bad and leaked in water/condensation and they are under an overhang, go figure. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

two of these are now going bad. IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E

and I had one of these go bad. a IPC-T3241T-ZAS 2MP

So I need to replace them all.

other than Dahua low light cameras, which camera manufacturers with Varifocal lenses are good quality

I would appreciate any information so that I can check out my option.

Thanks
I don't know if it's possible, but you can try to disassemble the IPC to try to find the failure point.
For example, if you have Corrosion on the PCB or connectors or both and the IPC is within warranty maybe you can get a replacement (not sure).
In any case, this may help you to understand where you should try to improve (though it seems you don't have much to do, since the IPC is not exposed to the elements).

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great!
And you've pumped outdoor-rated silicone sealant into the cam where the pigtail enters the cam?
No, however only a few had condensation, and the others that went dead did not. so looking for other brand recommendations.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As you are aware, there are not many actual camera manufacturers out there.

Hikvision and Dahua make cameras for a lot of companies.

Hikvision provides the internals to many Sunba models, so maybe try them next?

Axis would be one to try, but you will pay a premium.

Many of the no-names like JideTech and a few others are all rebranded something.

But you are in Florida so it will be tough on cameras, especially if you didn't use dielectric grease.

Keep in mind your Sunba is only 9 months old...

I bought my Dahua Z12E and Sunba within a week of each other in 2019. The Z12E is still going strong. The Sunba not so much...

View attachment 149178 View attachment 149179
Thanks, I will check them out.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did your cameras get exposed to hurricane force winds? or Tropical storm force winds?
That last storm definitely exceeded the IP-67 rating of that some of the Camera manufacturers use.
Im sure the UV rays beat up the rubber and then the sideways rain gets driven into the cams.
Are you close to the Ocean?
No, I was in an area that did not get hit, and my cameras went bad before the storm. Most of my cameras are not in direct sun.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI

Network deployment
The NYSM first deployed the DS-2CD2032-I security network camera manufactured by Hikvision. The Hikvision camera weighs about 500 g, requires a maximum of 5 W, and operates between −30° and 60°C. An infrared capability enables image collection at night, and the camera permits livestreaming. Due to federal security concerns, however, the Hikvision is no longer being purchased; alternative cameras with similar specifications are being tested. At the time of this writing, the cameras are among the most economical sensors deployed across the NYSM. Once installed and leveled, the camera is low maintenance; the most common problem is water getting into the camera or cabling, but this can be minimized with proper sealant.

Each camera is oriented such that the horizon is centered in the photo, with the ground encompassing the lower half of the image and the sky the upper half (e.g., Fig. 2). This allows for regular monitoring of snow and vegetation heights as well as sky conditions. Each camera is mounted level on the station tower at a height of 3 m. Small roofs have been built over each camera to protect them from snow and ice falling from the tower above.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI

Network deployment
The NYSM first deployed the DS-2CD2032-I security network camera manufactured by Hikvision. The Hikvision camera weighs about 500 g, requires a maximum of 5 W, and operates between −30° and 60°C. An infrared capability enables image collection at night, and the camera permits livestreaming. Due to federal security concerns, however, the Hikvision is no longer being purchased; alternative cameras with similar specifications are being tested. At the time of this writing, the cameras are among the most economical sensors deployed across the NYSM. Once installed and leveled, the camera is low maintenance; the most common problem is water getting into the camera or cabling, but this can be minimized with proper sealant.

Each camera is oriented such that the horizon is centered in the photo, with the ground encompassing the lower half of the image and the sky the upper half (e.g., Fig. 2). This allows for regular monitoring of snow and vegetation heights as well as sky conditions. Each camera is mounted level on the station tower at a height of 3 m. Small roofs have been built over each camera to protect them from snow and ice falling from the tower above.
This helps stress how important dielectric grease is, even if the connections are covered. It isn't problematic with just one brand.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
+1^^.

I just took this pic, this is what I was doing. I will try your suggestion protecting the connectors and the pigtail when I get some new cameras.

this is my PTZ Camera up on the poll.
all others are under eves and in boxes.

1672114295220.png

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just don't want to get off subject. some had moisture, the others just failed over time. so moisture was not the only issue.
in either case, I need to find some new cameras.
so researching once again for low light and good resolution.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
does anyone have any pics of how they sealed their cameras, boxes, and connestions?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a bad example. But I skipped the fake rubber plate gasket, and siliconed the back, the front, and used no dielectric grease
It's a test so @sebastiantombs can yell at me next year when it fails and say " I told ya so-moron" :)

View attachment 149287View attachment 149288
Hopefully you worked quickly and fastened the lid on so that those water drops in the bottom of the box in the last image will be trapped inside the box....maybe to be joined later by more of their corrosive "friends"?