Need a varifocal lens for viewing gate 250ft away

Reaction score
I've appreciated everyone's advice on here and made my first order from Andy yesterday. I'm looking for a camera for viewing a gate 250ft away in a well lit parking lot. I was hoping for Dahua 8MP varifocal but not required if there is a better fit camera for the job. The gate has tracking equipment mounted to it that keeps getting damaged and we want to be able to see who the culprit is. Not someone damaging on purpose, just drivers not being careful most likely. Hope here is once everyone knows there is a camera looking at the gate they will slow down and be more careful.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
At that distance a "ZE" won't even come close. You're going to need a "Z12" or "Z24" variant. I'm on my phone so I don't have access to links conveniently for you. Check with Andy or look in the LPR threads here.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A fixed cam varifocal will not cut it.

The Z12E is a great cam, but 250 feet for anything other than Detect or Observe is pushing it; Recognize and Identify would not be possible at 250 feet. I am playing with one of mine now to repurpose away from LPR and at 190 feet I can barely recognize someone I know at max zoom.

You need to go to a PTZ.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
re: contacting Andy..

FYI - remember Chinese New Year holiday ..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Check out the Dahua SD6AE433XA-HNR. It has a 5.8 to 191 mm zoom. Cost in the range of 1K to 2 K. Check with Andy for specific pricing info if interested.

See attached PDF for more information.
Agree. It’s an excellent ptz. Here’s a sample clip of mine, it loses track at around 500ft due to the sign. It can zoom tighter if need be. That setting is adjustable.