Mydlink on Windows 10

Trevor

n3wb
Reaction score
Many users of D-Link cameras are seeing this when attempting to use the MyDlink app on Windows 10.

Unsupported Browser or Operating System Detected!

It doesn't matter which browser (32 or 64) bit I use. I've tried all of them - even the ones they claim are supported - with the same result. I spent hours on the phone with D-LInk tech support but so far have not found a solution.

The software clearly needs updating but D-Link don't seem to be in a hurry to do this. I wonder why they bother offering this Windows app in the first place. The Android version is fine, of course but I would like to be able to use this app with Windows as well. This was why I posted elsewhere asking for non-DLink camera recommendations that use Windows apps.

One support tech suggested that my Windows 10 was out of date and that the app worked fine on his PC using obsolete IE 11. I told him that I was using the latest Windows version 20H2 (OS build 9042.906) and asked which version of Windows he was using. It turned out to be 1607 (OS Build 14393.4283)! His only suggestion then was that I roll back my Windows to this version!

If anyone has encountered this and managed to find a workaround or a fix (at least without using an old version of Windows), I'd be very grateful to know how they did it.

Trevor

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
do it appear when you launch "iexplore.exe" ? do it use activeX ? did you try to fake the user-agent ?

Trevor

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

When I launch Internet Explorer 11 and type in "Mydlink" or "Mdlink.com" and hit Enter, I get my account login page. The error appear as soon as I click on Login.

Axtive X Controls and Plugins are enabled.

I'm afraid I don't understand your last question. Who is the "user agent"?

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
your browser send a user-agent name and also version and a some other info, you may change that back to older IE, you also have another way, download Internet Explorer dedicated virtual machine from microsoft its free.

To be sure you have an IE user-agent exposed try this wweb site for example that show what you browwser send to web sites What's my user agent?

On my Win10 20H2 it show "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

Trevor

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this is rather over my head. I clicked on the link and under the What's My User Agent? box was this string but I've no idea what it means or if it helps. I had no idea that I wanted or needed to know what (my) user-agent detection library really thinks! :)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Trevor

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate your help.

Well, it was worth a try. I installed FF 52 ESR in a separate directory and launched it. Then I entered Mydlink.com in the address bar and it immediately asked me to install the Mydlink plugin - Uplayer-1.0.2.7.msi - which I did. Then I restarted FF and it loaded the plugin but I got exactly the same error when I logged into my Dlink account.

Oddly enough, I have seen the app work once or twice using IE11 and I thought I'd cracked it but then the error appeared again and I couldn't get it to work a second time.

I can't understand why Dlink doesn't simply drop this crappy Windows app altogether. If they are short of manpower or resources to update the software, they should just put a flag on the web page to say it's not compatible with 1st gen cameras like the DCS-XXXXL1 (it appears to work fine with gen 2 products). But they list my model on the web page under the list of supported browsers.

I'll carry on using the camera until it stops working but then I'm ditching Dlink for a product I can use with Windows.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another possibility is to start an old Windows 7 inside a Virtual Machine using VMWare Player, VirtualBox that are both freeware or Hyper-V (if you have Windows "Pro" or above)

Microsoft provides free Virtual Machines here Virtual Machines - Microsoft Edge Developer you may donwload for example the Windows 7 IE10 or IE11 VM image available for many Virtual Machine software.

nettewurk

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day. I'm also experiencing this same problem in IE11 (even older Firefox) since 2021 after updating Window 10 with Microsoft monthly patch update then. I don't know if the patch removal of Adobe Flash KB patch in one of the security packages has affected my Win10 21H2 PC. But at home using different Win10-21H2 PC with also recent Microsoft updates, I can still see mydlink.com (1st and 2nd gen camera portal) cameras in both IE11 or in Chromium-Edge with reload to IE option. I'm still hoping that I can use my revert my office PC to check my DCS cameras at home.