My thoughts on, and review of the Amcrest IP5M T1179EW 28MM

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am, by no means, a security camera expert. I am still learning, so when I found an offer to review this camera in exchange for a refund of the purchase price, it was a no lose proposition since there was no specific requirement that it be a positive review. This is my first “serious” night vision camera and I am blown away by the difference. As they asked for a review of the camera alone, I mounted it without any junction box, did not update the firmware, did not tweak any of the settings, just plug and play. I used the included mounting hardware, plastic anchors and wood screws, and this might be my biggest complaint: I couldn’t find the size of the plastic anchors or the correct sized drill bit listed anywhere, wouldn’t it just make sense to print it on the plastic bag they come in? For what it’s worth, I used a ¼” drill bit and it was almost perfect, just a little on the small side. After mounting the IP5M T1179EW and adding it to my system, I waited until dark and was rewarded with amazing footage. Finally, I have a camera that gives a full color and HD picture of our driveway at night. With a 2.8mm lens and 103 degree field of view, this camera isn’t going to capture great images 100 feet away, but that isn’t the application it is designed for nor the application I bought it for. A driveway, porch, or patio overview less than 30 feet deep is perfect for what this camera is designed to do.

The photos are taken from 10’, 20’, and 30’. The lettering on the box is about the same height as a license plate, with a broader stroke (and really, how can you not love a brand of TP called Who Gives A Crap. At night, the color still looks great with our lights on. With our lights off, the IR from the Amcrest IP5M T1179EW actually makes for a better picture IMO. Keep in mind, this is all straight out of the box, I have not made any adjustments to the camera.

The motion detection built in is almost perfect. Raccoon, check; cat, check; vehicles, check, check and check; tree limbs moving in the breeze, no; random leaf, no. It does false alarm when the concrete is drying after a rainstorm but it’s by far the best motion detection I have, and it’s the motion detection I’ve already come to rely on.

Overall, this is my favorite camera I currently own and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a sharp image from a short range camera. And to that point, I will absolutely be buying a second one with the refund I receive, making this a BOGO deal rather than a free camera (but I will probably try to get the 3.6mm version so I can reach out a little farther).

WGAC10.pngWGAC10IR.pngWGAC10Night.pngWGAC20.pngWGAC20IR.pngWGAC20Night.pngWGAC30.pngWGAC30IR.pngWGAC30Night.png

Reaction score
Nice summary.

Still photos of a non-moving person though really does not show how the cam reacts to a perp. They are constantly in motion, especially the head. If you do not want to post video, then a still of you moving would be nice to give folks what they really want to know. Which is how does it capture a perp moving after dark. Is there motion blur? Can you get enough facial detail for an ID?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LOL! I just received my "soon-to-be-free" unit today. Did your unit have a QR sticker on it for setup? Mine does not. I didn't really matter, since I do everything by IP anyway, so I looked my DHCP leases and made a reservation for it.

I will get my mine installed on my side gate tomorrow, and then I'll post some night time video captures.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which is how does it capture a perp moving after dark. Is there motion blur? Can you get enough facial detail for an ID?
You are correct and I was being a bit lazy and trying to not upload video (all those seconds saved). I should have time tonight to cut the video down to something showing me walking from the 30' mark back in so when the face becomes recognizable is clear (my memory says motion blur is zero, but yeah).

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's my first night-time motion capture from my IP5M T1179EW 28MM:

Or, if you want to pixel-peep the original 2592 x 1944 MP4, dumped directly from the camera, you can download that, here. I didn't trim the original, so seek in about 30 seconds to see me walk through.

I can't find a way in the Amcrest app or on the internal web server to adjust the IR LEDs to avoid my face washing out. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't find a way in the Amcrest app or on the internal web server to adjust the IR LEDs to avoid my face washing out. Am I missing something?
Same here. On or off are the only options. I noticed that the camera adjusts to fix the washout (IDK if it's dimming the IR, or changing the exposure) if given a couple of seconds (but that doesn't help when the object is in motion). I have enough ambient light that I turn the IR off. Maybe the Dahua software has better IR control?

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same here. On or off are the only options. I noticed that the camera adjusts to fix the washout (IDK if it's dimming the IR, or changing the exposure) if given a couple of seconds (but that doesn't help when the object is in motion). I have enough ambient light that I turn the IR off. Maybe the Dahua software has better IR control?
Are you gonna roll the dice and try the Dahua firmware? :eek::eek:

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you gonna roll the dice and try the Dahua firmware? :eek::eek:
Based on the response you got that there still isn't control of the IR in the Dahua software, no. However, I did get the 3.6mm camera and installed it yesterday (and apparently I need more practice terminating CAT6), again, it's got a great picture right out of the box, but my placement of this camera is going to be a bigger challenge for night vision.

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Based on the response you got that there still isn't control of the IR in the Dahua software, no. However, I did get the 3.6mm camera and installed it yesterday (and apparently I need more practice terminating CAT6), again, it's got a great picture right out of the box, but my placement of this camera is going to be a bigger challenge for night vision.
Crimping ethernet cable can be tricky, but here are a few things that make it easier.
1) make sure you have good crimpers.
2) make sure you use good rj ends.
3) Use good solid copper core cable.

As far as inserting the cable...
1) Line up the individual core colors in the order you want.
2) Pinch the cores (closest to where you stripped the sheathing) between the tip of your thumb and edge of index finger.
3) Bend the cores back and forth in the same direction (at the same time/in the same pinch, around the edge/curve of your finger), and pull your pinch out slowly towards the end of the cat5/6 after a couple bends. Do this 4-6 times.

Doing this will take the twisting memory out of the copper and give the cores a more rigid straightness to slide into your rj45 end before making your crimp.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Crimping ethernet cable can be tricky, but here are a few things that make it easier.
1) make sure you have good crimpers.
2) make sure you use good rj ends.
3) Use good solid copper core cable.

As far as inserting the cable...
1) Line up the individual core colors in the order you want.
2) Pinch the cores (closest to where you stripped the sheathing) between the tip of your thumb and edge of index finger.
3) Bend the cores back and forth in the same direction (at the same time/in the same pinch, around the edge/curve of your finger), and pull your pinch out slowly towards the end of the cat5/6 after a couple bends. Do this 4-6 times.

Doing this will take the twisting memory out of the copper and give the cores a more rigid straightness to slide into your rj45 end before making your crimp.
I'm not sure if it's the crimped end at the camera which went on well, or the keystone punch down in the closet that went ok. It's CAT6 OSP of good quality, leviton ends (meh), ideal crimper, and Fluke punchdown. I wish I had passthru connectors, but until I burn up the supply of old ones.....

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If anyone is looking. The function is available on the camera's web portal, but you would have to use the day/night profile. This is available in both the Amcrest and Dahua firmware

Attachments

jihiggs

n3wb
Reaction score
can any one tell me if the camera web ui has addtional settings like changing the frame rate and bits? I recently got an amcrest smart home camera and was very dissapointed to see its missing most technical options.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
VBR can save storage space but CBR usually give the best picture. YMMV depending on your field of view.