My Brand New LPR camera!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, actually its 5 years old :p

5231EP-Z12E bought in 2016. I thought it was just the sun angle this time of year giving it a hazy image, but its gotten worse over the past 6 months or so.

It was the clear plastic lens on the face of the camera. Apparently the sun and 5 years of weather took their toll. Took it off and tried cleaning it but the plastic is just discolored and hazy.
I was lucky to have a buddy's dead 5442 that got hit by lightning laying in the garage, so swapped it out with the new lens cover and Boom New camera!

HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20210418165036_@3.jpg
HOA Entr_EntrTag_main_20210418173518_@3.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
This thread brings up an interesting point: is there anyone out there who sells replacement parts for Dahua cameras? It was fortunate that @bigredfish had another dead camera to pull the part out of, but otherwise he'd be out of luck.

I assume that Dahua probably has little interest in managing a supply chain for repair companies outside China, but maybe someone out there sells equivalent replacement items such as lens covers. Does anyone know of a vendor for IP camera parts?

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup, sell it for parts and move on to the next camera if you have one die unless you are lucky enough like @bigredfish to have spare parts lying around and are good with tinkering.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d love to see what the old lens looks like. If this doesn’t highlight the importance of the exterior cover I don’t know what does.

On a related matter Hikvision now incorporates a blue medium to the dome covers that is said to reduce motion blur / ghosting?!?

I’m unsure how a coloured filter could prevent motion blur vs shutter speed, more light, F stop, lens size??

foxden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is going to make me re-adjust my settings a bit but liking the improved clarity. (Remember, Florida has the worst and biggest variety of plates in the country)

View attachment 87245 View attachment 87246 View attachment 87247 View attachment 87248 View attachment 87249 View attachment 87250 View attachment 87251 View attachment 87252 View attachment 87253 View attachment 87254
The other day I talked with software developers for license plate recognition. Due to the lack of a unified standard for license plates in the USA, this causes big problems in the development and training of the algorithm. :banghead: