Multi-Home Network Setup

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all -

So I already have a nice Blue Iris setup at my house, with a rack and dedicated server, synology, and 7 Cameras for my main house. We now want to setup surveillance for my mother in laws house. Probably 3 - 4 cameras max. I'd like to setup such that all footage stores on the same synology which would obviously be remote to the house, and have blue iris setup remotely as well. Wondering what would be suggested network wise / vpn wise to make this work? Or would the lag be too great?

Reaction score
Hi all - gb whatsapp

So I already have a nice Blue Iris setup at my house, with a rack and dedicated server, synology, and 7 Cameras for my main house. We now want to setup surveillance for my mother in laws house. Probably 3 - 4 cameras max. I'd like to setup such that all footage stores on the same synology which would obviously be remote to the house, and have blue iris setup remotely as well. Wondering what would be suggested network wise / vpn wise to make this work? Or would the lag be too great?
Mine is dual nic. Strictly to isolate camera traffic to it's own network. The cameras are all set up with static IP's although I did install Opendhcp on the Windows7 64bit based Blue Iris 4 server, to hand out ipaddresses when I add cameras. I just start and stop the service while I add and change the ipaddress. You can set it up for reserved addresses, or however you like, it seems fully funtional. You can limit it to a specific interface. The hardest part is a text based config file, but it's pretty easy, once you read through it. As far as switches, I am using unmanaged POE gigabit switches, works fine so far. Right now its 8 cameras in 2 different buildings, will be adding more cameras, and a third building. 1 server for 3 buildings, 3 Cat6 between buildings, 1 for lan, 1 for cameras, 1 for future...