MS-8816NI-K2 NVR firmware upgrade

blade3609

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with upgrading this MS-8816NI-K2 NVR? The supplier mssecurityinc doesn't provide any newer firmware. It cam with version V3.4.92 build 170228
Think its possible to upgrade this to a newer version? i found on the hikvision EU site, firmware for the K2 K4 K8 » [76 77 86 NI-K2 K4 K8] , Is there anyone that succesfully upgraded this?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Think its possible to upgrade this to a newer version?
I've used quite a few versions of the K2-series firmware - but only on Hikvision K2 NVRs.
Whether it will work OK on your NVR will depend on how much your OEM model deviates from the stock Hikvision model.
Have you asked mssecurityinc if such an update will work?

On the basis that the web GUI firmware update should reasonably well validate any attempted firmware update, you could maybe take a risk and see if the same version of Hikvision firmware is accepted and works.
Remember there is always a risk on a firmware update on an OEM device.

It's certainly the case that the V4.x firmware, despite its many quirks and bugs, is a big step up in terms of functionality, especially via the VGA/HDMI interface.
If you do attempt this, and the firmware seems to be accepted, you must be cautious about jumping straight to the NVR 4.x versions.
The K2 hardware, and firmware, is very similar to the I-series NVRs, and there is a known problem when doing an I-series V4.x update from too old a firmware version.
I'd expect the K2-series to potentially have the same problem, though I don't recall any posts about that, unlike the I-series, where there have been quite a few.

The Hikvision update advisory is attached.

Attachments

blade3609

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! i sent them an email requesting their input also, but haven't heard anything back yet. I dont want to brick the device. If someone has info on a way to reload the stock firmware via serial in case of bricking i could just try upgrading without worrying.

blade3609

n3wb
Reaction score
FYI,
I never heard back from the supllier, but tried the upgrade , and it worked.
went to NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V3.4.93_170408
did a reset ,
then , NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.30.005_200628 ,
then .NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V4.72.107_220914

MS-8816NI-K2 is the same as DS-7616NI-K2