Mounting 5231 box or not?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When mounting a turret style Dahua cam such as the 5231, would you mount direct to the soffit or use a junction box?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
When mounting a turret style Dahua cam such as the 5231, would you mount direct to the soffit or use a junction box?
Hi Houston!

All depends on your possible setup: if you can make the UTP connections neatly waterproof, and shovel them into your softfit where they are protected from wind, water, animals and moisture, then you're good to go. Plus side is that your camera won't "stand out".
On the other hand, if you have a beam, and almost no space (like with a brick wall), you're best off with a junction box! If you order your camera with @EMPIRETECANDY , do not forget to order them with your camera's!

Good luck!
CC

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Houston!

All depends on your possible setup: if you can make the UTP connections neatly waterproof, and shovel them into your softfit where they are protected from wind, water, animals and moisture, then you're good to go. Plus side is that your camera won't "stand out".
On the other hand, if you have a beam, and almost no space (like with a brick wall), you're best off with a junction box! If you order your camera with @EMPIRETECANDY , do not forget to order them with your camera's!

Good luck!
CC
Yes, I ordered through Andy but we never talked about junction boxes. As I recall there are two models where one is waterproof and one is not. Do you know the model numbers?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do I want waterproof? It looks like the cam design, the way it connects would not be water proof

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I mount right to the soffit at the corners where the panels meet and there is a hard plastic "rib" that runs the width.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Then you may have to remove a panel install a piece of wood or aluminum that spans the width to give you something solid to mount the camera to that will be placed behind the panel itself when you put it back in place. You could then screw the camera through the soffit and into the structure.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then you may have to remove a panel install a piece of wood or aluminum that spans the width to give you something solid to mount the camera to that will be placed behind the panel itself when you put it back in place. You could then screw the camera through the soffit and into the structure.
I think I can use anchors. I cannot remove these panels.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
And how do you want to pull your wiring? Through the softfit or "exterior"-wise?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
And is the softfit "strong" enough to hold the X kilograms of your camera?

Reaction score
The nice thing about using a box is that you can get by with a smaller hole out of your soffit. If you plan on stuffing the connection and the other wires (like alarm, power, audio) in the soffit you will need to make a bigger hole. I always use watertight boxes. For the 5231 turrets I have used both the PFA130-E and the PFA122.

Also, when I changed out one of the 5231 turrets for a 5442 fixed lens turret, it was easy to do since the new cam fit on the old plate. Did not have to dick with the soffit at all. well actually they are not on soffits, they are on hardiplank siding and beam coverings. But same issue.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
With a box like the PFA130-E, you only need to drill a 1/4" hole for the Cat5/6 cable to come through into the box. Without a box, you'll need a 3/4" hole to feed the ethernet connector into the safety/protection of the soffit. I prefer to always use a box like the PFA130 and drill a small hole.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The nice thing about using a box is that you can get by with a smaller hole out of your soffit. If you plan on stuffing the connection and the other wires (like alarm, power, audio) in the soffit you will need to make a bigger hole. I always use watertight boxes. For the 5231 turrets I have used both the PFA130-E...
Stupidly, the trim ring on the 5231 has an opening to allow the cord to be external. This seems beyond stupid. So, how do you deal with a big hole in your otherwise water tight assembly? It seems like the cam could fill with water from that ridiculous hole.

Reaction score
Stupidly, the trim ring on the 5231 has an opening to allow the cord to be external. This seems beyond stupid. So, how do you deal with a big hole in your otherwise water tight assembly? It seems like the cam could fill with water from that ridiculous hole.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? What are you talking about?
DSC_0455.JPG
There is a seal where the wire enters the cam body.