motorized Varifocal vs zoom vs auto focus cameras...What's the diff?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe another in my list of noob questions that should be obvious but isn't for me...

What is the difference between "motorized Varifocal", "auto focus" and a zoom cameras?
( I get the full PTZ difference of course.)

My first cams were all fixed focus, I think 2.8mm.
I quickly realized that the one size will not fit all locations very well...Wanting closer facial recognition by an entry vs. looking at the side of my yard, for example..so that 8 cam fixed system went back to the store.

So I'm reading about the options in various cameras...fixed lengths, "auto focus" and "varifocal"..both manual and motorized then there are zoom cameras and PTZ cameras.
...Other than "PTZ", they sound like the same concept to me, so what is the difference I'm not understanding?

I get auto focus on a PTZ, when you zoom in, but what is that on a fixed focal length camera? If it can re-focus, isn't that a "zoom"? I'm getting my terms mixed up I'm sure.

Also, I see there are "manual" focus cameras permanently set in various focal lengths...why bother i'm thinking with manual focus other than if they are cheaper?
I would not want to get out the ladder and take apart each camera to manually focus it whenever I want to make a change.

I'm reading several threads going on right now about mini PTZs and bullet PTZs....They seem to have just as good or maybe in some cases better quality than the standard fixed cameras.
So given a negligible price point, why not make all the cameras in your system a PTZ or motorized varifocal for maximum flexibility and ease of adjustment I'm wondering?

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Standard varifocal, you must physically adjust the zoom and focus on the camera with a small screwdriver

Motorized varifocal, you can zoom in and focus from the camera web interface.

PTZ is a motorized varifocal with pan and tilit capabilities.

"So given a negligible price point, why not make all the cameras in your system a PTZ or motorized varifocal for maximum flexibility and ease of adjustment I'm wondering?"

Mainly size, and cost.