Motion vs trigger question

Weather_Junkie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First off, I figured this topic was better suited for "General Talk" than "Troubleshooting" as I don't think this is a problem but more of a misunderstanding of the BI software. So I hope I choose the right forum.

Alright so I've been trying to tweak my outdoor Amcrest camera (IP2M-844E) to be sensitive enough to trigger and record any movement on the street. Any passing vehicle gets triggered but people walking or running do not. Below is a link to a desktop recording I took this morning of some of the motion detections on the street along with on-screen BI settings. Vehicles easily trip the Sense, Motion and Trigger senors but a lady and kid walking their dog only tripped the "Sense" sensor, a little bit of the "Motion" sensor but never the "Trigger" sensor.

At :41, the camera picks up on my neighbor walking out of his house. He gets a "Sense" trigger only which is fine as I'm not looking for BI to trigger something that small and that far away.

At :51, the lady, kid and her dog mostly get "Sense" detection with some "Motion" detection but never a "Trigger" detect.

At 1:16, I had turned off Object Detection during one of the recording pauses hoping this would make the scene ever more sensitive. As you'll see, "Motion" this time was detected the entire time everyone walked down the street but again, never a "Trigger" detection or record. Then as luck would have it during a very important test, a car videobombs the scene and fires off a full blown red trigger.

To get a better understanding of BI motion detect, I watched Dasstrum's HomeTech YouTube tutorial on "Blue Iris Triggers - Object Detection". I totally understood what he said and have tried to tweak my settings so I can get BI to trigger & record people on the street but not too sensitive where birds, blowing leaves or exhaust from my kid's car on the cold mornings sets off a recording. Am I asking too much of BI and my camera?

** Sorry for the blurry video. Used a free desktop recording software.