Morning or Evening

Reaction score
New guy to this stuff. I'm a telecomm guy that thought my robust knowledge of that was going to transfer seamlessly into getting a small CCTV system up and running. I'm here so we all know that it's not worked out 100% effectively. So I'll lay out what my current situation is and then ask for advice and listen to people that know more than me about stuff.
  • I'm currently shopping around for the right machine for a dedicated surveillance computer because I like to future proof things a bit when I do big projects.
  • I have Blue Iris installed on my laptop just to try and get everything everything talking.
  • I purchased and wired up six 5 MP POE cameras from JideTech because the Blue Iris people assured me they worked
  • I've got said cameras wired into a POE gig switch, my end to end ethernet testing passes, and cameras are all powered
  • My house is 211 years old and has all plaster walls so I'm running a hard lined Deco mesh system
  • The switch for the Deco mesh and the POE switch for the cameras are connected into a Frontier VDSL modem with the wifi disabled and no other modification to factory settings made
It sounded great to me, so I built it all, and I can't see my cameras on the network. Really important part of the process. I can't see them when I got directly into the RG's system settings, I can't see them through the software that came with the cameras, or at all. I'm reasonably sure that after I get the things visible the rest of the process is pretty straight forward but damned if I know what to do here.

Thanks folks, when I know more I hope to help people too.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I'd say your network IP schema is not the same as the defaults for JiveTech. Check the IP of your PC and the documentation that came with the JiveTech cameras for their default IP or if the default to DHCP. If they default to DHCP look at your router and see what's connected to it.

Have a look in the Wiki at the top of the page, in the blue bar, especially the Cliff Notes and there's a whole section on choosing hardware for a VMS and the whole system.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Apparently according to somebody on here, the give away is the Model #.
Somebody said the model # or firmware revision make them a Hikvision OEM?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably a Hik default IP , what is theirs .54? somebody told me once.....CRS.....
Anyway they are lacking in the feature set, for my Condo security needs. But this is all Hindsight. As I later learned here. I don't know what a Deco Mesh is, or how your camera's are getting Power. Jidetech's i bought require an active X Plugin to be installed, and run through a nearly defunct Internet Explorer UI. or IE tab with Chrome. I frame settings are not straight forward in naming convention, and therfore hard to configure. Optics are good, but having purchased Dahua or Empiretech/Loryta 5442's I see a difference in Tunability.
has he run the Amcrest or Dahua or whomever's IP config tool? is thier a Hik equivalent?

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a guess, but I'd say your network IP schema is not the same as the defaults for JiveTech. Check the IP of your PC and the documentation that came with the JiveTech cameras for their default IP or if the default to DHCP. If they default to DHCP look at your router and see what's connected to it.

Have a look in the Wiki at the top of the page, in the blue bar, especially the Cliff Notes and there's a whole section on choosing hardware for a VMS and the whole system.
I think they were Dhcp upon initializing, I beleive they were in a 192.168.1.xxx Scheme. I found them in the "status" segment of my router as connected devices. Changed to static.

Reaction score
OK. There is food for thought here now that I've had time to pop back on.

The Deco mesh is a wifi mesh system. I have since determined that was an extraneous question on my part.

Seems like hindsight is what I get on the cameras. I bought them months ago, just now checked the return, and the last date for it was 9/21!! But they were not that pricey at least. So I'm stuck fist fighting them for now. However, I don't think any of that is what's impeding me after reading what you guys are saying and the wiki I actually know most of the stuff I need. I just need them to exist on my network and right now they don't.

But now I've had troubleshooting time with some patch cord bypassing and different devices. This proves to me that the POE router is not passing traffic. Currently working on figuring out why. I'll check back in a few days when I have time to finish assessing the situation again and continue to be thankful this is a hobby for me and not a critical element for the building.

Thanks again, very informative place

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not a PoE router, it's a PoE switch and they are distinctly different kinds of hardware and do things very differently. What type, brand/model, is your PoE switch? How is it connected to your PC? If you plug your PCs' network cable directly into the PoE switch can you "see" the cameras?

A simple network topology diagram would help here.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they are OEM'd by Hikvision as @Flintstone61 thinks, the IP could be static and at 192.168.1.64.
If so, set server to static LAN IP of 192.168.1.20, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway or DNS needed, connect ONE cam at a time, log in at the aforementioned IP and change it to the desired IP.
I recommend using static IP's that are outside of your router's DHCP pool; for instance, if router's LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 and it's pool is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99, use 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.250 for your cams and other static IP devices.
Write those down on paper for now.
Then plug in another cam..configure its IP and so on until all of them have a unique static IP.

And welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

Last edited:

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
@Flintstone61 I've only been on here a short time and your first recommendation for me with my new set up was to plug the cameras in 1 at a time. I think things went smoother as a result. Thanks btw

As i now understand it dahua cams and nvr all come with the same static IP address. Plugging in 1 at a time stops any clashes. If this brand / line of cameras works the same your idea of 1 camera at a time for set up / initializing might work

@sebastiantombs1 Your suggestion rules out multiple points of failure. Kinda like a bench test but later lol.

Original poster could try the pc > poe switch ( using a known good patch cable ) > 1 camera only ( again using a known good patch cable )

It can only not work lol

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres my Jidetech PTZ, It's doing it's thing out back Being a third eye from a different angle on the cars/people/deer/Raccoons. Lens is pretty good. But as I learned, it's not what I really needed to surveil
the Condo's parking lot for License plate recognition at night. It's ok as an Overview camera. Jidetech2MpPTZ 2021-09-23 174602.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you were watching a really specific small area like a hallway or a narrow driveway and you zoomed in on it. It would do that well. it can read plates 200 feet out fully zoomed on a tight area. but thats not what I have for my scenario..... Someday I might take it home and hang it somewhere, or better yet It would be fun to put at the brothers lake house, and zoom into the Eagles nests out on the Islands.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
If you were watching a really specific small area like a hallway or a narrow driveway and you zoomed in on it. It would do that well. it can read plates 200 feet out fully zoomed on a tight area. but thats not what I have for my scenario..... Someday I might take it home and hang it somewhere, or better yet It would be fun to put at the brothers lake house, and zoom into the Eagles nests out on the Islands.
It's good enough to see the boss coming lol

Couldn't resist lol

Reaction score
That image looks like pretty much what I'm looking for to get started so maybe the cameras will work out for me. Initially this is a hobbyist residential observation effort.

Looks like the first definite impediment is the switch (this one specifically, TL-SG1210P | 10-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with 8-Port PoE+ | TP-Link ) is not letting anything traffic through. Laptop direct to router and other switch connects but not through the one the cameras are in and I can't get into the UI of the switch (I think) to see if the camera's IPs are in there.

network topology is simple enough to write. Router as main LAN node, off that is a switch with four WAPs, the POE switch that has the six cameras on it.

So I'm going to troubleshoot the thing and if I sufficiently prove that it's the problem I'm in the range of time to return that at least. But I use TP link non-POE switches all the time at work and rarely have problems so I might just be doing something stupid or running into a random issue I've never seen. I'll report back

Reaction score
do Ya think it could be the original posters problem? From what I'm reading i think he has 6 off the same camera all trying to do the same thing at once
That was a good thought and when I get things talking to the router through the switch I'll configure them one at a time.