Mobile App on multiple phones

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

So we have finally finished our new house, running BI but now comes the process of being able to monitor the cameras remotely and also get notifications when movement is detected.

I was looking at the BI app which is $14.99 on the Australian App Store, we have 11 devices which need the app... that's going to cost $164.89! Most other apps, you buy once and then you can login from multiple devices.

How have others solved this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So we have finally finished our new house, running BI but now comes the process of being able to monitor the cameras remotely and also get notifications when movement is detected.

I was looking at the BI app which is $14.99 on the Australian App Store, we have 11 devices which need the app... that's going to cost $164.89! Most other apps, you buy once and then you can login from multiple devices.

How have others solved this?
Family share. Both on ios and google app store. No app allows you to share on multiple devices that are not using the same id, without family sharing.

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most here use the native UI3 that is part of Blue Iris.
I was hoping to make it easier on the parents - going to VPN > To UI3 will be too much for them. Opening up UI3 to the internet, despite the login page I feel is too risky (open to thoughts on that though - perhaps the IP blocking feature will be enough)?

Family sharing unfortunately has a limit of 6 devices.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need to open ports for UI3 - UI3 is already there and has nothing to do with VPN until you are away from the home to use it. If they are on the home network, you just set up a Chrome icon labeled cameras and they tap it and it logs in via UI3 to see cameras and alerts.

With UI3, you simply open Chrome while on the home network and key in the LAN IP address (which is the IP address of your BI Computer) and then the user and password and they see the cameras....and it won't work outside of the LAN unless you VPN or open or forward ports...

You will need to VPN with the app too when away from the home...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping to make it easier on the parents - going to VPN > To UI3 will be too much for them. Opening up UI3 to the internet, despite the login page I feel is too risky (open to thoughts on that though - perhaps the IP blocking feature will be enough)?

Family sharing unfortunately has a limit of 6 devices.
You will need vpn or port forward for the app as well. You are confusing users and devices with family share. Regardless if you are balking at 160 bux, scrap the whole thing, get an NVR with free apps and then come back to BI when you realize what you have given up.

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UI3 is already there and has nothing to do with VPN until you are away from the home to use it. If they are on the home network, you just set up a Chrome tab labeled cameras and they tap it and it logs in to UI3.

You will need to VPN with the app too when away from the home...
Sorry, yes I am focusing primarily when away from home. I am savvy with port forwarding and VPN but I was trying to make it as easy as possibly for the family - i.e. we have a Nest Hello doorbell, notices activity, sends a push notification. I was wondering if there was a 'safe' way of doing this with BI without having to use vpn - understand would probably opening ports. Does the BI app support a similar flow if the correct ports are opened? Are the ports used for the BI app different to the UI3 interface?

Has anyone here opened the UI3 ports and then just enabled the IP blocking with failed authentication rules?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, yes I am focusing primarily when away from home. I am savvy with port forwarding and VPN but I was trying to make it as easy as possibly for the family - i.e. we have a Nest Hello doorbell, notices activity, sends a push notification. I was wondering if there was a 'safe' way of doing this with BI without having to use vpn - understand would probably opening ports. Does the BI app support a similar flow if the correct ports are opened? Are the ports used for the BI app different to the UI3 interface?

Has anyone here opened the UI3 ports and then just enabled the IP blocking with failed authentication rules?
You are slightly confused. You are opening or forwarding the same ports whether it is to see Blue Iris, UI3, or the app. Don't do it. Blue Iris also has a stunnel option, but VPN is the way to go.

You can setup within BI to send them a text message with a picture on motion. Then they can look at the picture and decide if they need to then VPN and open up a live stream. Oh it is the mail or UPS, no bother. Wait I do not know this person, then VPN in.

I do not know what data rates are down under, but you could set up their devices to be on VPN all the time if clicking the OpenVPN app icon and then clicking Blue Iris is too much difficulty. Literally it is opening two apps instead of one once it is set up. Tap on OpenVPN and wait a moment for it to connect and then tap the Blue Iris icon.

Last edited:

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do not know what data rates are down under, but you could set up their devices to be on VPN all the time if clicking the OpenVPN app icon and then clicking Blue Iris is too much difficulty. Literally it is opening two apps instead of one once it is set up. Tap on OpenVPN and wait a moment for it to connect and then tap the Blue Iris icon.
Interesting - so I currently have L2TP setup on the UniFi UDM Pro - that is how I am getting in. Maybe the screenshot via email is the way to go, only downside there is that if 3 or 4 emails come through at once, the iPhone groups them and it might get lost in the feed vs. a dedicated app sending you a push notification.

So when I think about what the user process with VPN would it it would be (based on my current setup - not using OpenVPN):
1. Unlock iPhone
2. Open Settings > VPN
3. Connect to VPN
4. Find BI app and open
5. Review recorded motion or feed
6. Go back to Settings > VPN
7. Switch off VPN

Is that what most people do?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With OpenVPN, it is this:

1. Unlock phone
  2. Tap OpenVPN app
  3. Tap Blue Iris or UI3 app
  4. Watch live or alerts
  5. Disconnect OpenVPM
But like I said, many here just leave OpenVPN on all the time when away from the home. I know someone said it didn't add that much MB over the course of the month. Then you just unlock the phone and tap the Blue Iris or UI3 app.

remsta

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With OpenVPN, it is this:

1. Unlock phone
  2. Tap OpenVPN app
  3. Tap Blue Iris or UI3 app
  4. Watch live or alerts
  5. Disconnect OpenVPM
But like I said, many here just leave OpenVPN on all the time when away from the home. I know someone said it didn't add that much MB over the course of the month. Then you just unlock the phone and tap the Blue Iris or UI3 app.
Hmm interesting - might investigate this and see if I can get it to work with the Unifi gear.

Thank you!