Mixing brands of ONIVF camera to work on Hikvision NVR

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Hik setup, I may add a few cams to my system. I use HIK PCNVR (old discontinued), if I buy a different brand of camera that is ONIVF compatible can I expect this camera to work with a Hikvision recording setup whether it be the PCNVR software or a hikvision NVR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Even though it may be ONVIF compatible, not all manufacturers follow the true standard, and even if they do, you may lose features. You may get just the video stream but no ability to use any AI or motion detection settings as an example.

It is best to match camera brand to NVR brand.

If you want to mix/match cameras, then you should consider an alternative PCNVR like Blue Iris that can accept many different brands of cameras.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I run Hikvision and Dahua cameras on my Hikvision NVR's without a problem. In the past I had 4 off brand PTZ's which I cannot remember the name of which also ran without a problem. However that does not say you will not have a problem with some of the off brands. If you stick to the two main ones you should not have a problem.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thank you, my father had a camera system installed using Dahua N42BJ62 it's a nice cam with Audio, I was thinking about changing over one of my hiks at the front door, and hoping i can use the Dahua, I like the audio feature.